The Hothead in the Morning

When everyone came out from their little adventure in the woods, they all gasped in awe at my new familiarity. What? It's just a phoenix, three levels down - or was it two? - from my beloved Liz. Even the hothead cold get a phoenix. I rolled my eyes, but no one saw and just ogled the majestic silver fire phoenix.

"Amazing, Lady Novea! You could get such a thing...!" A teacher was looking at me with shining eyes, like I was a blank canvas waiting to be painted. I'm not an object. I have potential, but I can use it on my own. I don't need someone butting into my life just for the sake of my 'potential'. I frowned. I didn't feel like socializing at all today, for some reason, and I didn't bother keep up my facade and smile when I got a compliment.

I just want to read. I bowed and nodded towards the crowd huddled around me. "Thank you. I will be retiring for the night, as I am severely fatigued from the long trip."

I walked away and entered my tent. Why am I even out here? And why are they making a duke's daughter camp out? Aren't they afraid of their school being shut down because of this? It's like my old high school's trip to the forest, except they're doing this with nobles. Spoiled children who are used to servants catering to their every whim. I sighed and flopped onto the cot.

"Why in the day? It is not night yet, she should not retire so soon..."

"Oh, I suppose the lady's health has still not recovered..."

"She was sick for a long time..."

I could hear whispers coming from outside my tent, and I covered my ears with a pillow. I just want to read. I frowned and opened my space. No one would dare intrude a duke's daughter tent. I'll just go into my space for a while. I made the phoenix familiar appear in front of me.

"Hi. I'm Alice. Nice to meet you." I told it curtly. "We're going into my space, where no one can bother us. Since I summoned you, your personality must be similar to me, so I'm sure you don't like to be touched by strangers or being bored." It nodded its head. Oh right, it's too low leveled to talk.

"Sorry about this, but I'm not going to drag Liz out of her castle because of you, so you'll be coming with me very often for school events." I could see the phoenix's head wilt then shoot up again. "Oh, you're wondering who Liz is? She's my other familiar. Actually, you'll be rooming with her in that giant castle for a long time, so you'll know what species she is soon. Now come on, let's go."

I stepped through the portal and the silver phoenix soon followed. We transported directly into the golden castle's entrance. "Now, listen. Liz doesn't like to be disturbed during her sleep, and she's almost always asleep, so don't act too lively in front of her right now."

I flew up and rung the giant doorbell. I could hear its sound reverberating inside the castle.

"Who is it?" I could hear Liz's giant talons stepping closer to the door.

"It's Alice, your MASTER, dolt." I said. I'm really in a bad mood all of a sudden, why? I thought.

"Master. Why have you come to my abode?"

"To show you your new friend. Oh, and you can't eat your new friend just to make your fire stronger." I told her as the door opened.

"A phoenix. What a delicious treat that Master gave me- wait, what did you say?"

"Don't eat her. It'll be annoying."

"Then why have you woken me to show this phoenix to me?" Liz grumbled annoyingly.

I put my hand against my throbbing head and huffed. "She's my new familiar. Instead of bothering you for useless events, I'll be taking her around. So be grateful and show her around. I've fabricated a new room for her while you've been talking, so just show her around. You'll be rooming with her now."

I teleported out of my space before I could hear Liz's thundering roar in protest. "Sigh... so annoying."

----

"Wake up, students!"

It was the second day of camp. I woke up and felt more grumpy than I was before. Maybe it was because of the wake-up call, or because of the students pestering me about the phoenix's name, or because I was tired, but I wanted to kill everything in this world.

There were dark circles under my eyes when I blinked them open. It's 7:30, for fuck's sake. If I kill that professor that's screaming and wake up, and everything will be quiet again. I thought absentmindedly. I reached my hand out and used dark magic to cause the professor to choke. It was finally quiet, besides for the occasional sounds of hacking and coughing.

Soon, I heard a commotion outside, and a few screams. "Professor! Someone, help!" Shut. Up. I felt a vein popping up. I just want things to be quiet. I sighed and released the spell, and soon, everything quieted down.

"Wake up, students!" I snapped and got the professor into a coughing fit again. Shut. It.

"Ahhh! Professor!" I released the spell after hearing screams. Then I heard the professor's call again. And recast the spell. Over and over again, the cycle repeated, then after I finally couldn't stand it, I cast an air magic spell around my tent to block out sounds. I won't be able to hear someone approaching my tent, but at least I can sleep peacefully now.

----

"...ice... La... Lady Al... Lady Alice... LADY ALICE!" My eyes shot open and I grabbed the person screaming by the neck and lifted them up. My red eyes were like blood, and there were veins about to burst apparent on my forehead.

"Shut the fuck up." My voice was as menacing as Liz's, and my usual childish behaviour was nowhere to be seen. My It took me a while to snap out of it and realize that I was choking my fiance.

"Shit." I released the second prince and sighed, troubled. I'm so damn pissed off. I turned my head up and glared at Hothead. "What are you doing here, you bastard? How dare you interrupt my sleep. Not even Mother will interrupt me while I'm sleeping. You've got balls, Hothead."

I was done. Done with acting, done with playing mind games, just done. I just. Wanted. To sleep. "I was wondering who dared to enter the Lady Novea's tent, so it turns out it was you! My dear fiance." I tilted my head and smiled expressionlessly. "Well, it couldn't be Ciar, since he would know what would happen to him, nor Ax, since he knows what I'm like in the morning." I turned around and looked down at his panting red face. "And who told you that you could call me by my name? You sure are presumptuous, brat."

I sat back down on my cot and sighed. "Damn, I'm tired. First, the loud fuckers outside and now a terrible surprise in the morning."

I kneeled down next to the second prince, and held his cheeks firmly with one hand. "Now... How should I deal with you?"