How it Started

~~Flashback~~

"Someone, please help! He has my baby!" A woman screams, tears streaming down her cheeks as she frantically begs for any possible help. "Please! He has my child!"

Really? This is pretty much a daily occurrence in this town. It seemed so nice when I first came here and everyone seemed normal at first. After about a week I found out just how superstitious they all really are. Supposedly there's some monster in the forest but there haven't been any victims in the four months I've been here. Usually people just get stuck in a bramble bush of some tree branches. People constantly claim to see this tall faceless being in the trees, but I haven't seen a thing. It's all just a myth.

"Take me to him. I'll make sure we get your baby." I assure her, confident this is yet another false incident.

"Slenderman! The monster has my child," She sobs as she leads me to the forest. Here we go again.

The people really can't be serious can they? There's barely any crime in the town, so why are people so scared of the forest? It's like any other forest out there! I don't really believe in the Slenderman they speak of, and this town pretty much sealed the deal on that belief. I'm sure there's ghosts and spirits within the forest. Maybe they're all just seeing a ghost? Some tall person who hasn't moved on to the afterlife yet? I believe in the supernatural. Not non existence beings made up to make your child behave.

The reason I came to this town in the first place was because I was running from my old life. I've been trying to start new and I just keep convincing myself this is just the town's little quirk. I work at the small clinic in town, and I have learned a lot of medicine not in my field of expertise. I used to live in the big city and I had a great job as a doctor, but the clinic decided to downsize. It was my name on the chopping block despite everything I ever did for the place. As if things couldn't get worse I walked in on my fiancé cheating on me.

When I walked in on that it's like my brain short circuits and I just started moving on auto-pilot. Instead of screaming and shouting I ignored both of them and packed up my stuff. I didn't listen to the threats and insults my fiancé threw at me. I pulled off the engagement ring, placed it in his hand, and left. I withdrew all the money from my accounts and I disappeared from the world. I just wanted to start over and this town seemed nice enough in the beginning. Other than this Slenderman thing it's actually an overall nice and friendly town. 

"Mommy, help! He's got me!" A young boy sobs as he thrashes desperately from a thicket of branches. Anyone can easily get him out if they took the time to actually try.

"It's alright. No one has you, it's just a tree branch," I assure him with a gentle smile. "Stay still. I'll get you out of there."

It takes some convincing but I'm finally able to get him calmed down enough to get him detached from the tree branches and back on the forest path. Do I really need to have the talk about there being no monsters again? I turn around to start it, hoping it'll be a learning moment. Before I'm able to open my mouth something hard hits my head so hard my eyes rollback and I knock out.

"Do you think he'll accept the sacrifice? Surely this will please him greatly!" A woman's voice cuts through the ringing in my ears, my head pounding with pain as I try to focus.

"Of course he'll accept her! She's been a nonbeliever since the beginning! I hope her terror is enough to appease him for a while," I hear the mayor declare.

"What's going on?" I mumble, blinking through the pain in my head as I try to take in my surroundings.

I try to move, but my hands are tied above my head against a tree, the bark rough against my back. I look up and try to focus on pulling out of the ropes but the jolts of pain that shoot through me only make me nauseous and I have to stop. My head still hurts like a bitch.