Old Nightmares

~~Splendor's Pov~~

My brothers and I wait a bit impatiently for Slender to return from whatever it is he decides to do with the human. I'm relieved when he returns to the living room not smelling of blood. He sits down on the couch and pours himself a glass of scotch.

"What?" He demands after downing the entire glass and refilling it.

"Maybe we should go out? Everyone is asleep and you clearly need to work off some aggression issues." Trender tells our eldest brother.

"No. I'm fine. I'm perfectly calm," He tells them.

"What if you kill her? What will you tell Sally?" I demand of him.

"She'll have an 'unfortunate' accident when I decide to be rid of her. Humans get sick or do stupid things that kill them all the time. It'll be no different," Slender replies dryly. "Why do you three care anyway?"

"We don't want to see the look of anguish on our niece's face when she learns Y/N is dead. You heard her. She feels like the human is a mom figure," Offender growls back.

"He's not wrong," Trender says as I nod in agreement.

"It's a phase. It'll pass. When it does I'll get rid of her," Slender declares. "No harm done."

"You're not even a little ashamed for making the human breakdown so bad they relive past traumas?" Offender snaps in irritation. "That can kill a creature you know."

"Trauma over what? Getting punished? She's done just fine so far," Slender snaps back, equally annoyed. "Humans are easy to traumatize. Why should I care?"

"Because she might end her life before you even get the chance," Trender replies. "You can just see it. Especially after tonight."

"Boohoo. She'll perform her duties as planned. I've had enough of this conversion," Slender huffs and gets to his feet.

All three of us are caught off guard when Offemder suddenly sends a very hard right hook into Slender's jaw that sends him crashing to the ground.

"Since she can't hit you I will," Offender snaps, shaking out the pain in his hand and sitting back down.

"The fuck Offender?! What was that for?!" Slender demands as he pushes to get back up. "You want to go? Let's fucking go."

"Enough. Offender, what was that for?" Trender barks to break the tension.

"None of you have actually taken the time to talk to Y/N, have you?" He questions, grabbing the bottle of open wine and taking a swig. "Go figure. You want to claim you're defending Y/N when in reality not a single one of you has had an actual in depth conversation with her."

"So?! That doesn't give you a right to hit me!" Slender snarls back. "Why would I care one bit about her?!"

"To be fair, I expected her to be dead by now," Trender admits. "So, I haven't bothered."

"What happened to her?" I finally ask the question Offender is trying to get at. "What trauma?"

~~Flashback~~

(WARNING: The following contains potentially triggering content. Relationship abuse, miscarriage, and suicidal thoughts.)

~~Your Pov~~

I should have seen the signs, should have trusted the twisting in my gut when my insides turned into knots as he lied right to my face. He was working late, he went out with friends, he's on a business trip. He's used every excuse in the book and I naively believed him. I could handle things without him if I really need to. I was ready to end things when I caught him in bed with someone else, but morning sickness showed me I had a lot more to worry about. He surprised me, when he said he'd take care of me and the baby. I expected him to run off the second he found out.