Chapter 11 - That day

Charlotte's POV

"What about?" He asked nonchalantly.

I gritted my teeth in irritation and replied sarcastically. "Maybe about your unforgettable race and your new girlfriend?"

He cleared his throat and breathed deeply without saying anything.

"I am home." He heaved a deep sigh.

"Fine. I will be there in thirty minutes." I informed before hanging up.

***

"Would you like something to drink?" Lucca asked after we had greeted each other.

"No, thanks." I gave him a polite smile and sat down on the couch.

He nodded and sat down in the armchair beside the couch. "I am all ears."

"Why are you playing with Nicole?' I asked, looking into his eyes.

He heaved a deep sigh, running his hand through his hair, and stood up. "Why do you think like this? Can't I fall in love with her?" He asked sarcastically, placing his hand into his pocket after walking towards the bar.

"Lucca! Don't try to fool me? Both of us know that you don't love her." I stated firmly, approaching him while he was pouring a glass of whiskey for himself.

"Hmm. Then who do I love? It seems you know about my feelings better than me." He asked, raising his eyebrow, and sipped his drink, looking into my eyes, his gaze intense.

"Lucca!"

He breathed deeply. "Lottie, mind your own business!"

"Do you really think I will let you play with Nicole's feelings?" I asked angrily.

"Why are you so sure that I play with her?" He asked mockingly.

"My favorite race was in Italy. It was an unforgettable day." I mimicked him and gave him a knowing look.

His jaw clenched, and he gave me a death glare, finishing his drink.

"Lottie, what do you suggest? Should I wait for you while you are having fun with your boyfriend?!" He mocked without managing to hide his sadness.

"So you decided to use Nicole?! Why? Because she is Nathan's sister?! Or it doesn't matter who is a rebound girl?!" I asked angrily.

"Charlotte!" He exclaimed furiously and approached me. "Do you really think that I am a ruthless jerk?" He asked in disappointment.

"Luc..."

He raised his hand in the air, stopping me. "No, I didn't choose her because she is Nathan's sister. For fuck's sake, he is my friend, not my enemy. I would never hurt him or Nicole deliberately." He breathed deeply, trying to calm down. "Didn't you tell me she loves me? So I decided to give her a chance. And don't forget, it was you who tried to throw her into my arms." He stated nonchalantly.

"Lucca, how many times should I tell you I didn't try to play a matchmaker between you two?!" I snapped, frustrated and ruffled my hair.

"Whatever! If you finished, you may leave. I want to rest." He sighed, walking away.

"No, we didn't finish." I stated, annoyed and followed him. "You will listen..." I grabbed him, trying to turn him towards me, but he lost his balance and fell onto the couch, dragging me with himself.

I gulped nervously, lying on top of him while his arms were wrapped around me protectively. Meanwhile, he was looking into my eyes, his eyes dark. There were a few inches between our lips.