Chapter 30 - The partner in crime

Charlotte's POV

He pursed his lips together in amusement, and we walked towards our table.

I took a sip from my red wine and looked at Nathan. He was staring at me angrily, his muscles tense. I turned my gaze from him to my Devil partner, feeling happy by Nathan's attitude, and gave Alexis a warm smile, resting my hand on top of his hand.

"He is staring at us, isn't he? Look, I was right. Let him feel he can lose you." He stated, self-satisfied and squeezed my hand.

"Yes. He looks angry." I nodded happily.

After ordering our desserts, I went to the restroom.

When I left the restroom, I saw Nathan, leaning against the wall. As soon as he saw me, he straightened and approached me in quick steps.

"Don't do it." He stated firmly.

"What?" I asked, puzzled.

"Don't try to use him to make me jealous. I don't want you to get hurt." He said, full of sadness in his eyes.

I forced a smile and folded my arms over my chest. "Don't overestimate yourself! It has nothing to do with you. I like him." I said in confidence.

"You will get hurt, Lottie. I know you don't like him. You are so dear to me. I don't want you to get hurt because of me anymore." He gave me a begging look.

I burst out laughing. "How thoughtful of you!" I mocked. "Always the same tune. You are dear to me, blah, blah. If you care about my feelings, why did you break up with me?" I asked in annoyance.

"Because my feelings for you are not romantic enough for a relationship. You are my friend's sister and I like you as my friend." He confessed, annoyed.

"I didn't think you saw me as a friend when we fucked." I stated angrily, clenching my fist.

"Charlotte!" He warned me as his jaw tightened. "I told you from the beginning that I am not ready for a serious relationship. I didn't lie to you. You accepted it knowingly. Yes, I enjoyed spending time with you. As I told you before, you make me feel happy, but it isn't enough for a serious relationship. So don't try to make me jealous, using that man."

I gritted my teeth angrily while disappointment and sadness filled my heart. "Leave me alone, Nathan Carter. And mind your own business." I said dryly and walked away, bumping into his shoulder angrily.

"Fuck!" I muttered under my breath angrily because when I wanted to leave the restaurant, I saw the paparazzi in front of it and turned right before they noticed me. I had totally forgot about them.

I ruffled my hair angrily and leaned against the wall, closing my eyes while holding my tears back hard.

I heaved a loud sigh and pulled my phone out of my clutch. Then I sent a message to Alexis, informing him I wanted to leave, and I was waiting for him in the hallway away from the main door.

"What happened? Are you fine?" Alexis asked, worried as he rushed towards me.

"I am fine. I don't just want to stay here more than a minute." I replied, trying to hold my tears as I threw myself into his arms.

Alexis pulled back slightly and cupped my cheeks, looking at me worriedly. "Did Nathan tell you something bad?"

I pursed my lips together and averted my gaze. "I don't want to talk about it now. Please let's go."

He sighed and nodded, stroking my cheek tenderly. "If you want, we can use the back door." He suggested, giving me a sympathetic look.

"No. We will do what we planned." I refused firmly. He gave me a warm smile and held my hand.