Chapter 19 - Dinner with the parents

Charlotte's POV

I was leaning against Nathan while lying on the bed in his suite. He was traveling his hand up and down my arm absently.

"My father invited you for dinner tomorrow evening." I informed him after placing a soft kiss on his bare chest.

"What?" He asked nervously as he sat up on the bed.

"I postponed it as much as possible, but he insisted. I couldn't decline his invitation again as my father said he wouldn't accept any excuses this time." I said, giving him a sympathetic look.

"Why did he invite me?" He asked, panicked.

"Are you afraid of my father?" I asked, amused, raising my eyebrow.

"No, of course not." He mumbled, running his hand through his disheveled hair. "I just... I don't understand why he invited me suddenly." He added, puzzled.

"He has been asking me to invite you to the mansion since he found out about our relationship. Probably, he wants to talk to his daughter's boyfriend man-to-man." I winked at him.

He breathed deeply. "Charlotte, we are not a normal couple. I told you I am not ready for a serious relationship."

I gritted my teeth, annoyed and sat down on the bed, ruffling my hair. "Yes, I remember. However, I don't think you want my father to know we just fool around." I commented dryly, giving him a knowing look.

He heaved a deep sigh, leaning his head against the headrest, his eyes closed. "There is no escape from this dinner, huh?" He asked hopefully.

"No." I shook my head. "So be ready." I resumed, leaning towards him, and placed a chaste kiss on his lips before getting up.

***

"Are you ready?" I asked Nathan as we approached my parents' mansion. He looked so nervous, but he didn't admit it when I asked about it in the car.

"Yes." He nodded and breathed deeply, tightening his grip around the bouquet he bought for my mother.

Once the housekeeper opened the door, we went towards the living room.

Nathan greeted my parents politely and gave my mother a bouquet of pink roses.

"Thank you, Nathan." My mother gave him a warm smile, looking happy.

When Nathan approached my father, my mother slowed her pace and whispered in my ear. "He is such a gentleman."

"Yes, he is." I nodded, giving her a bright smile.

After chatting for a while, we started having dinner. My father started asking him questions about our relationship, and he even asked discreetly if we planned to marry, making Nathan uncomfortable. From his expression, I could feel, he prayed with his inner voice that this dinner would end as soon as possible.

Once we finished having dinner, my father suggested Nathan to drink coffee in his office. Nathan begged me with his eyes, asking me to intervene, but I couldn't do anything about it.

After thirty minutes, Nathan and my father joined us. As soon as I saw Nathan's face, I understood it wasn't an easy conversation.

"Are you okay?" I whispered, resting my hand on his thigh as he sat down on the couch beside me.

He nodded, giving me a slight smile, and pulled away slightly. I looked at him, puzzled and folded my arms over my chest, sighing.

I was sipping my coffee when Nathan's phone buzzed. He pulled it out of his pocket and read the message. His expression changed instantly. He gritted his teeth as his body tensed up. Then Nathan placed his phone back into his pocket without replying and stood up abruptly.