Chapter 44 - At his mercy

Charlotte's POV

"Are you fine?" He asked worriedly and stroked my cheek tenderly.

"I just have a headache. But what happened? The last thing I remember was that I was having dinner with Mr. Qadir." I said, puzzled and ruffled my hair.

Nathan took a deep breath and started explaining everything to me. I gasped when he told me what that bastard tried to do to me.

"Where is Alex?" I asked in panic and stood up quickly. Suddenly, my head spun.

"Be careful, Lottie!" Nathan exclaimed and caught me without letting me fall down, pulling me into his chest by wrapping his arms around my waist.

When I pulled back, I saw Alexis at the door, staring at us, his jaw clenched.

"Are you okay?" I asked in panic as I noticed there was blood on his knuckles and rushed towards him.

"Yes, don't worry. Are you fine?" He asked, concerned, cupping my cheeks, ignoring my question.

"Yes. Thank you for arriving in time." I gave him a grateful look. Then I turned my gaze from him to Nathan. "Thank you too."

Nathan nodded, giving me a warm smile before turning his gaze from me to Alexis. "Where is that man?" He asked, clenching his fist.

"I handled it, but it will be better if someone cleans the room; it is slightly messy." Alex replied firmly.

"It will be arranged." Nathan said with a devilish expression on his face and walked out, leaving Alexis and me alone after giving me a hug.

"I hope you didn't get yourself in trouble. What did you do to him?" I asked, worried, grabbing Alex's hand.

"Don't worry. I didn't kill him even if it was tempting. I just made him understand he should not bother you again." He reassured me and placed a soft kiss on my forehead before pulling me into his chest.

"I am sorry I should have listened to you." I mumbled apologetically, hugging him.

"Yes, you have to, but since now I will not take my eyes off you for a second. When I am not around, your bodyguard will be responsible for your safety." He stated firmly, caressing my hair.

"No, I don't want to go everywhere with a bodyguard again. I convinced my father hard after my breakup with Nathan." I refused.

"No, Charlotte. You have to have a bodyguard. Don't forget who you are. It isn't safe to walk around without bodyguards." He insisted, determined.

"But..."

"It isn't up for discussion! If you want, I can talk to your father; I am sure he will help me with it." He cut me off and gave me a wolfish smirk.

"Are you blackmailing me?" I narrowed my eyes at him as I pulled back.

"No, I am just a good negotiator." He winked at me as he wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me towards him.

I rolled my eyes and sighed. I ruffled my hair, biting my lower lip, and asked, worried. "What will you do if he files charges against you?"

"He can't. Moreover, he will be busy with his problems in these upcoming days." He gave a devilish look.

I raised my eyebrow, giving him a questioning look. "How?"

"Omar will help me. He had already sent the information and proofs about that bastard's illegal businesses which he found out about him to the police. The bastard will be behind the bars soon." He replied, self-satisfied.