Chapter 5: Information in the Dark

Shit! Motherfucking, Goddammit! This could not have appeared at a worse time. It had been a few days since I had left SilverHollow and even after hundreds of years of doing so, I had forgotten to track the days. That much was evident in the sticky blood that coated my undergarments and breeches and the painful twists I was experiencing in my gut.

Fae women, especially fertile fae women had their blooding cycles that last 6-8 days every half a year instead of the once a month that most woodland mammals experienced. The lack of contracts had made me forget to check when my blooding cycle was going to appear and like an idiot, I was annoyingly unprepared for it. I had my blooding supplies, of course, since I always carried them with me, but that didn't account for the lack of a proper change of clothes.

My riding leathers were covered in blood, which meant I would have a sweat-stained, mud covered dress on when riding into Endale. That meant I would attract unwanted attention and when going to assassinate somebody, attention is never a good thing. On top of that, the painful cramps that were wracking my body would make the journey much more difficult. All fae women usually confined themselves during their bloodings because they are soul-crushingly, debilitatingly, painful, but I had been trained at the Guild of Shadows to move through the pulsing torture. I could and would continue to Endale. But that didn't mean I had to like it.

Scowling at my soiled undergarments and trousers, I grabbed my only spare pair of undergarments and the neatly folded dress and changed as quickly as possible. Putting the strips of fabric I reserved for my bloodings back in my bag, I extinguished my campfire and packed up the rest of my things as I ate a bland breakfast of bread and water. Mounting Millie once more, I continued my journey.

Another side effect of a fae female's blooding was she will have a harder time disguising her scent. During a blooding a fae females body gives off a scent that basically screams "Impregnate me so I don't have to go through with this in another 6 months!" It was basically a homing beacon for any and all fae males looking for a bedding partner. Stupid and desperate I know, but fae have a hard enough time getting pregnant and this was just another way for nature to help increase our populations. Because of this it would be an even harder task to mask my scent once I killed the duke. Just great.

————————————————————————

I was only a few hours ride from Endale, so it did not take me long to find room and board. Many stared but they couldn't see much from the cowl of the hood of my cloak. I managed to find an extra set of clothes from the matron of the seedy motel I stayed in. Men leered at my blooding scent, but a fierce glare from underneath my cloak and the reflection of my dagger off the oil lamps was enough to warn them off for now.

Donning the blonde wig I had brought with me to hide my very noticeable silver hair, I headed to the Bed and Brawn tavern to seek information from the female workers that serviced men there. A few sultry smiles and I would have all the information I needed from them. I donned a salacious smile and checked the bruises that I had painted on with makeup hours before. They would explain my lack of being able to talk to those I interacted with.

The barkeep took one look at the deep v of my dress and was already in my thrall. Anything I wrote down and asked him he answered me, and if he didn't know, he'd find a prostitute to get me the information. Soon enough I had a crowd surrounding me, constantly showering me with compliments about my "lively" eyes and "golden" hair. I allowed a few touches to keep them talking and sat in the laps of some of the others, but that was as far as I allowed it to go. I would play my part to perfection, but I would never go and sleep with one of the men to get what I wanted. I had to have some rules.

"Whad'ya say we take this somewhere more private, sweetheart?" the most recent laps owner I had found myself in asked me. Coyly, I lowered my lashes at him and fluttered them as I shook my head. The other men at the table I had found myself at laughed, seeing my refusal as a reason to make sure I got into one of their beds tonight. I scoffed internally. If one of them even tried something like that, I'd take them out back and cut off that little appendage they were all so proud of.

"What are you doing here, sugar?" A voice asked from behind me. A new scent permeated my nose as I struggled to keep the sexy expression on my face. Slowly turning my head I lowered my lashes and looked at the newcomer. He was a couple decades old, younger than me, with an air of importance about him. Enough of an importance at least to make the men around me collectively pale. He wore a fine suit and expensive leathers matched with an imported cloak. Whoever this man was, he knew things, things that would benefit me to know as well.

Shrugging my shoulders and motioning to the makeup bruises at my throat, I turned around and gave my back to the man. The men around me gasped at my blatant disrespect of the man. "How about I buy you a drink, Sugar?" The man asked, trying very hard to get me all to himself. Whoever this man is has enough power to make my current companions fearful, so maybe he has more information on the duke of Endale then my previous companions did. Turning around and without a goodbye to my previous companions, I given the newcomer my best sultry smile and take his proffered hand.

He leads me to the bar and the barkeep, still gaping at my cleavage through my low cut dress, as the barkeep pours us both some whiskey. "So, Sugar," the newcomer asks me, "What brings such a beauty around these parts?" Grabbing a napkin from the bar and taking a pencil from the man's pocket on the front of his suit, I quickly write, "Oh, my niece recently fell ill and I've come to take care of her. She fell asleep so I'd thought I'd find myself some worthy company while she sleeps."

The man makes an ahh sound and places a  hand on my knee, "It can be hard to take care of those less fortunate, my dear." I nod in agreement, disappointment rearing from the inside. I had thought maybe this man, or maybe one in this town would feel something for those they ruled over. "Well, have you found said worthy companionship since you've been here, sugar?" He asks. I grab the pencil and write again "Not until you arrived, good sir." I fix an erotic smile to my face as he ready my words. A heavy smile graces his face and he replies,"Well, if I am worthy companionship, what do you say we take this upstairs?" He asks and his hand slides higher up on my leg.

I flip the napkin over as I write my last message, "Well, I can't exactly say if your the perfect companionship if I don't know your name, sir?" I reply as I place my hand on his chest and draw it in sensual circles. He replies quicker this time as he becomes impatient for what is ahead, "My name is Leon, but many call me the lord of Endale." Surprise lights my insides as I contemplate this new information and my next moves.

Finding my target and getting him secluded and alone just became a reality without much difficulty. I could seduce him into a room and kill him or... I could take him up on his offer before I kill him. I researched the lord of Endale extensively and he has no bad history like others that I have killed. No drugs, no women cruelty, no rape, nothing. His record is relatively clean other than a few brawls or duels when he has felt an injury to his pride. With such a clean record, it makes one wonder why the Grand Assassin wants him dead?

Besides he's not hard to look at and that scruff on his face would do wonders to a woman's private parts and I'd not had relief for my sex itch in such a long time. Even with our differences on how his people should be treated, he'll be a well enough bed partner I suppose. Nodding my assent to him, I motion my head towards the stairs leading to the rooms above. He follows as I drag him by his hand and I nod to the matron as we pass by. "Take any room ya like," she says. Oh yes, this is going to be very fun.