Chapter Forty

A/N - OBVIOUSLY, INFINITY WAR HAS ALREADY HAPPENED, AND INSTEAD OF DUSTING BUCKY, I DUSTED STEVE IN THIS STORY. I ALSO KNOW THAT THIS BOOK IS TO BE SEASON 12 BUT WITH HOW CLOSELY ENTWINED THE LAST COUPLE OF EPISODES OF SEASON 11 WERE WITH THE START OF 12 THAT'S WHY I WROTE THEM FOR SYDNEY. IT'S STILL GOING TO BE A FEW EPISODES BEFORE BUCKY AND SYD ARE REUNITED. (I ALSO HAVEN'T DECIDED IF I WANT SYD TO BE ARRESTED ALONGSIDE HER BROTHERS FOLLOWING THE DEATH OF LOTUS)

.....

An old woman is walking through the park feeding the pigeons that are gathering around her feet. She approaches where Sydney......Amara is sitting with her hands in her lap and sits next to her on a low wall.

"Hiya." The old woman greets, Amara looks surprised.

"Hello" She greets anyway.

"Oh, I like your dress." Amara looks down at her dress. "It's pretty fancy for the park, but at least you made an effort." Amara then looks back at the birds. "Do you want to feed them?" Amara draws her hands further into her lap.

"I shouldn't."

"I've been feeding these birds going on 20 years now. They're practically family. And I know that makes me sound like a crazy old bat, but...heck. My husband died a couple of years ago, and my son keeps slipping me these brochures for retirement communities—a.k.a. where they send old folks to die, but not to make a fuss about it." Amara looks distressed as she listens to the old woman talk.

"So you hate him." Amara points out.

"Well, a little bit. Sometimes. But you know family. Even when you hate them, you still love them." The old woman comments. Amara appears thoughtful as she listens to her.

.........

Sam and Dean are standing at the gravesite of Mary Winchester, Dean has his hand tucked into his coat pocket. Dean worries his jaw a little. Despite having Sydney back in their life, she has yet to come here. He thought the next time they would be here would be with Sydney. But they're here, planning on killing Amara, who is currently residing inside of Sydney, meaning she will likely die too. At least they'll be going out together. The same way they came into the world.

"Dean, you know, you don't have to do this." Sam comments.

"'Course I do," Dean argues as he looks at his brother. "I just have to get close. I can do that, okay? I can do that."

"You know, if this works, um, that bomb goes off." Sam starts but cuts off, it doesn't need to be finished. Dean turns and pats Sam on the shoulder as he walks away.

"I know." Dean agrees quietly. While Dean goes back to the car, Sam remains at the grave, looking emotional. He touches his fingers to his lips and then touches them to his mother's headstone. Chuck is being supported by the witch, Rowena. "You cool with this?" Dean asks him.

"No," Chuck answers. "I— Even after everything she's done, Amara's still my sister...She's my family. I can't— I don't want to see her dead, but..." He lets out a breath. "Yeah?... I understand."

"Dean." Castiel starts.

"Cas," Dean whispers back, Castiel approaches Dean and hugs him tightly. Dean accepts the hug, pressing his head into Castiel's shoulder to hide his sad expression. "Okay," Dean schools his expression and pulls back. "Okay...."

"I could go with you." Castiel offers.

"No, no, no. No, I got to do this alone. Listen, if—when—when this works, Sam—he's gonna be a mess. So look out for him, okay? Make sure he doesn't do anything stupid."

"Of course," Castiel assures him quietly. Dean places his hand on Castiel's shoulder.

"Thank you for everything." Dean offers, Castiel nods a little and clenches his jaw, fighting his own upset over this moment. Sam walks back to the group from the grave. Dean clears his throat and turns slightly. "Okay, look. I want a big funeral. All right? I'm talking epic. Okay? Open bar, choir, Sabbath cover band, and Gary Busey reading the eulogy." Sam nods.