Chapter Thirty-One

Bucky's been thinking a lot about Mihaela and Alina since they left. He misses them, yes, but he's actually been thinking about why they left. To get married. And whilst he knows it would be difficult, he's not sure whether that is in his future with Sydney. It's not that he doesn't see his future with her, because he does, she is literally his future, but he's 99 years old and she's a vampire.

"Can I ask you something?" Bucky inquires from the bed as Sydney pulls on her jacket, she hums and nods. "Do you think....that we might get married?" She turns at that to stare at him. "I'm not asking" he is quick to point out when he sees the panic in her eyes. "Just....curious"

"Even if we did....we can't use our real names" She points out. "The Men of Letters will still be looking for me, and Hydra will be looking for you" He nods in agreement. "It wouldn't be real" She adds sadly.

"Do I know your real name?" He asks, she nods and shrugs a little.

"It is Sydney" She answers. "But not Campbell, I mean, it sort of is, that was my mother's maiden name, it's Winchester"

"Like the gun" He teases, she smiles and nods in agreement. "Sydney Winchester" He tests and nods. "I like it" He offers and reaches for her, she moves closer to him, his fingers looping into her belt loops so he can give her a tug, she chuckles and reaches up, brushing her hands through his hair. He hums and closes his eyes, leaning into her touch. "Are you sure you have to go?" he asks when he opens his eyes.

"I won't be gone long" She assures him. "Just a few days..." he pouts a little. "I know you're still worried about what happened with those hunters" He nods. "But we moved...." she reminds him. They have actually moved. After the attack on Sydney by those hunters, Bucky didn't feel like they were as safe as they could be, just in case more come, just in case they had friends. He knows it's been a while now, months, but it still bothers him. They'd not moved far. Just across the city into an apartment complex. He finds it safer for them. And whilst he loved their last apartment, they had made it home, he likes what they have now too. It's bigger than the last one. More space for more stuff. A proper home. "We're safe here" She whispers softly, he nods and then stands so he can kiss her.

"A few days" he whispers against her lips, she nods. She has been sticking to hunts close by just to keep him happy, never travelling too far from him, and not just for him, she does it for herself too, to never be too far from him, she actually has a good home life now, something worth returning to. Someone she loves.

...........

Bucky touches the back of the couch where a thick weaved blanket rests before he lifts it up and drapes it over Sydney who sleeps on the item of furniture. She's only just got back from her hunt and crashed. She hums and shifts, pulling the blanket closer to herself before settling again. Bucky smiles and shakes his head. For a big bad vampire, she can't half be utterly adorable. He leaves her a note, just telling her that he is going to the market and will be back soon. He's going to cook her dinner, a sort of welcome home thing. He does it every single time she comes home. So she knows how much he's missed her.

..........

Bucky hums to himself as he browses a fruit stall, he's wanting to make a pie for after dinner, usually, he goes for cherry or apple, traditional and safe, but he's going to branch out, try something new. He's been doing that a lot. Trying new things. Because of Sydney. She's destroyed his inner walls. Made him normal. And he doesn't mind one single bit. He loves this life. Their safe harbour. He picks up a plum from the stall and turns it around in his hand, testing it.

"Are they good?" Bucky asks the vendor who nods, Bucky hums a little. "Give me six, thank you"

............

Bucky heads home, his bag of fruit held against his chest. A hop in his step. He knows Sydney is waiting for him back at the apartment. Sensing eyes on him, Bucky turns his head, seeking out the source. Across the street, he spots a vendor at a news-stand watching him. Bucky glances away, then looks back at the vendor who's still watching him. The vender then runs from his kiosk. Bucky crosses the street to the news-stand and picks up a paper. On the front page, there are surveillance-photos of a man and the headline: 'Winter Soldier cautat pentru Bombardmentul din Viena'. Bucky glances around tensely and then realises.

"Syd" He whispers and walks away, desperate to get back to their apartment.

NOTE:

- I AM GOING TO DO THIS AS A SERIES. BOOK ONE WILL END WITH BUCKY AND SYD BEING PULLED APART AND HER HEADING BACK TO THE STATES. (INCLUDING SEASON 10 EPISODES 1-3)

- BOOK TWO WILL PICK UP WITH SPN SEASON 13, SO ABOUT TWO YEARS AFTER THE EVENTS OF CIVIL WAR. SO BUCKY AND SYD WILL HAVE BEEN APART FOR A WHILE AT THIS POINT. 

- JUST SO YOU KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR, THIS WILL BE BOOK TWO'S TITLE AND COVER: