Chapter Eighteen

Alina and her girlfriend, Mihaela are throwing a New Year's party and Bucky has agreed to go, reluctantly. It's a party, meaning there will be a large number of people there, meaning a higher risk that someone will recognize him. But Alina is his friend. Sydney is his girlfriend. And he is attempting, to the best of his ability, to live a normal life. And normal people go to parties held by their friends for important holidays. He takes a breath and glances at Sydney sat on the end of their bed.

"We don't have to go to the street party" Sydney assures him as she pulls on her heeled boots. "Just spend a couple of hours with our friends" Bucky pulls a leather jacket on and crouches in front of where she sits.

"If you want to go to the street event...I'm not going to stop you" he offers, she lowers her foot and cups his face.

"I'm seeing the new year in with you" she promises him. "If that means that we do it curled up in bed, then so be it, as long as we are together" he smiles at her and leans closer to kiss her before standing and helping her to her feet. "Plus...I would feel weird invading on their traditions, I know Alina invited us, but...it's their culture, I would feel...out of place" she picks up a glove and holds it out to him, he takes it and kisses her head before pulling it on over his metal hand. "As soon as you feel like you can't do it anymore" She starts. "We'll leave" he strokes her cheek and nods.

"Come on" he takes her hand. "We're going to be late" he kisses the back of her hand.

...............

Sydney knocks on the door in front of her and Bucky, his hand holding to hers tightly. He knows that these are their friends and they're not going to hurt them but his paranoid mind is hitting out at the prospect of strangers. Sydney looks up at him and squeezes his hand.

"You're okay" she assures him. "Nothing is going to happen" he releases her hand and wraps his arm around her to pull her closer, he kisses her head and takes a deep breath. The door swings open, Bucky stiffens before he realizes that it's Alina who's smiling at them. Sydney waves at the girl who waves back and then hugs Sydney, Sydney chuckles and lifts Alina up a little and then sets her down again.

"You came," Alina tells them both when Sydney pulls back.

"Syd persuaded me" Bucky admits.

"I wasn't sure you would" Alina points out. She had asked them to come but Bucky is more reclusive than Sydney, he doesn't like public appearances unless to the cafe down the street, or the market. Alina and Mihaela have been going around to theirs more than them coming around to their apartment, they understand that everyone has something they are hiding from. Mihaela moved to Bucharest to escape incredibly prejudiced parents who tried to force her straight. Alina's mother moved to Bucharest with Alina to escape an abusive husband. They all have something. Bucharest is their second chance. They might not know why Sydney and Bucky are here, what they are running from, but they understand the need to escape.

"The first rule of truly living is to do the things you're most afraid of," Bucky repeats Sydney's words, she smiles. "I'm trying" He adds.

"Let's get you a drink," Mihaela tells Bucky and practically drags him into the apartment, he looks at Sydney who smiles and gives him a look to try harder, Bucky pouts at her to help him.

.............

Bucky grabs Sydney's waist as he manages to make his way back to her, she chuckles and leans back into his chest.

"Finally" he grumbles kissing her neck before handing her the beer in his hand. He doesn't drink, but he knows she enjoys the odd bottle. Plus she likes the stuff Mihaela gets in.

"They're our friends" she scolds him slightly. "The only friends we have"

"I know but there is only so many times I can listen to that story about the new coffee machine they have" he mumbles into her neck, she chuckles. "I'm going to lose my freakin' mind" he grumbles. "Again" he adds under his breath. "Next time you can be the one cornered over coffee" she turns to him and wraps her free hand around his neck and chuckles softly. He puckers his lips and leans closer, she kisses him and smiles against his lips.

"They're so adorable" Alina comments fondly as she and Mihaela watch Bucky and Sydney together.

.................

Bucky finds that he doesn't mind so much. These people are nice. Alina and Mihaela's friends are as kind and sweet as the couple themselves. He also thinks it is to do with Sydney being at his side. Her soft touches through the night keeping him grounded. Keeping him present. But even with her, he has his limit. And he's reached it. Sydney senses this, somehow she knows he's done for the night. She brushes his hair back and leans closer to him.

"You want to go home?" she whispers to him, he glances at her and nods. "Okay," she strokes his hair and stands. "Let me tell the girls" he nods again and watches her weave through the party to where Alina and Mihaela are.

...................

Bucky relaxes once safe inside of their shared apartment. He knows the exits. He knows his escape route. He knows where his guns are hidden. He feels safe here. Sydney lets out a breath and shrugs out of her jacket, Bucky looks at her, grateful that she brought him home when he needed to come home. She saw what he needed, and she gave it to him. He doesn't deserve her. He touches her back and she looks up at him.

"What?" she asks him as she notes his look. He turns her around with his hand and reaches up to brush her hair back from her face. "What?" she repeats softer now. He's still not ready to tell her he loves her. But he's hoping she can see it. She touches his arm and smiles, he smiles back at her. She knows. He knows she knows. He cups her cheek and kisses her. He presses her against the wall, lips moving against hers. She clutches at his shirt.

"This is how I want to see in the new year" he whispers against her lips. "You and me..." he pulls her arms around his neck and lifts her up, her legs wrapping around his waist. "Start as we mean to go on" he adds warmly. "Together"

"You're so sappy" she coos sweetly. "Keep talking" she pushes with a nudge of her nose, he chuckles and kisses her again.