Chapter Forty-Five

Bucky wakes to a cell phone ringing, specifically Natasha's cell phone across the other side of the RV. He doesn't know why she needs it on so loud, but he also does know that he has enhanced hearing and it is most likely for that reason that it sounds so loud. He grumbles to himself and tucks his head under his pillow to block it out. He's not in the mood to be disturbed today. It's a bad day. A day when his mood is terrible and all he wants to do is stay in bed. The RV door opens and closes as Natasha enters and moves to where her phone is. He ignores her and the call. Whatever it is, can wait. He's not in any mood to work. Natasha hangs up her phone and moves towards his bed at the back of the RV.

"Get up" Natasha scolds as she texts away on her phone. "We have new orders" He grumbles something into the covers, essentially telling her to leave him alone. "Spontaneous human combustion" She offers as she moves to grab her jacket. Bucky frowns a little and looks at her with a scowl.

"Why is that an us thing?" He complains, pulling his blankets around him to keep him warm.

"Because Rambeau told us it is" Natasha points out. "We work for her and Sword now...remember" Bucky groans and buries himself, he's not getting up today. Nope.

"I don't want to get up" He mumbles. Natasha sighs a little. She's dealt with him like this a few times now. When his grief and hopelessness get too heavy for him to function and he ends up sleeping away the day.

.........

Sydney sits on the grass outside of the bunker, taking a moment to herself to watch the sunrise. She does this sometimes when she can't sleep. When she feels boxed in by the bunker's solid walls or the stress of the latest hunt or family drama. Or even when she's just missing Bucky. Even two years on. He's still wedge right in there. Occupying her heart like a fungus. Things with her family are as stressful as she remembers, only John isn't the issue anymore. It's Mary. She took off to take time to herself, which Sydney understands and accepts, she did the same thing, but Dean is struggling to wrap his head around Mary leaving. When so many people in his life have abandoned him, then it is really no surprise that Dean has abandonment issues.

"Can't sleep?" Dean asks, Sydney looks up to find him behind her. She shrugs a little.

"Just one of those nights" She offers as he sits at her side, resting on his knee as they both watch the sunrise ahead of them. "What's that?" She asks, noting the papers in his hand, Dean hums and hands it over to her.

"Happened last night" He informs her as she reads through the information.

"Killed in Mystery Fire" She voices, he nods and hums. "Mystery fire?"

"Yeah, the kind that doesn't burn anything but the bodies" He answers, she raises an eyebrow and nods. That does seem like it is their kind of weird.

"So spontaneous combustion" She muses. "What are you thinking?" She hands the paper back to him. "Uh, witch? Dragon?"

"Maybe. Check it out" He takes the paper and unfolds it to show her something. "The old lady? Loaded. I'm talking Scrooge McDuck swimming in pools of money. So what's a lady like that doing at some crap store at 2 a.m.?"

"Well, it says it was an antique shop" Sydney points out as she pulls her knees up to lean on, Dean frowns at her, unsure how that matters.

"So?"

"Uh, rich old people like antiquing" Sydney adds with a small smirk. Dean huffs a smirk himself.

"Wanna check it out?" He asks her, she hums and nods.

"Sure" She voices and then sets her chin on her knees. "Just not yet" She mumbles, her eyes on the sunrise. "Want to watch a little longer" Dean nods in agreement.

.........

To go with their new mission, Bucky is gifted a motorbike from Sword. A way to keep him sweet. He knows that. But the concept of riding alone is very appealing given his current mood. Not that he has anything against Natasha, she's a fine friend, but he just wants to be alone right now. So he'll ride on his own and Natasha will follow in the RV. He knows his moods are getting worse. He is very much aware of the fact, but there is nothing that can be done about it unless he gets what he wants. His friend is back. The world is back. Syd back. He wants Sydney back.

..........

Sydney throws her bag into the back of the Impala as Sam walks into the garage with his own. He's a little more vocal about Dean's moods regarding their mother, so is against this hunt when they should be dealing with Mary. Sydney knows better than to push Dean on anything. Especially his feelings and emotions. Dean gives Sam a look from the side of the car. Clearly, Sydney has missed an argument there which means it is going to be a very awkward drive. She rolls her eyes and climbs into the back of the car. She's not really in the mood herself to deal with the two of them. Her fingers find the charm bracelet around her wrist, touching the tips of the star charm. Bucky's been on her mind a lot the last few days. She leans back in her seat and closes her eyes as Sam and Dean climb in.