Chapter Fifty-One

Sydney leans back against the table behind her, with her arms folded over her chest. They pretty much have everything out of Christoph that they need. Sam and Natasha are dealing with Ellie, trying to calm her down after a massive bombshell was dropped on her life. Anyone would be freaking out if they found out that they are related to Hitler of all people. Bucky shifts closer to Sydney and her eyes soften as she looks at him.

"How's she doing with all of this?" Bucky asks Sydney as she unfolds her arms. She tilts her head and listens to the conversation in the next room between Sam, Natasha, and Ellie. It's serious now so Natasha is sliding in to help rather than to isolate herself from the group.

"She's freaking out" She answers and then shrugs with a nod. "Pretty understandable considering" He hums in agreement, the two of them sharing a soft look. Dean is watching them from across the room, his jaw tight and clenched. Christoph lets out a breath and glances at Dean.

"It's been crazy hot lately, right?" He asks. "That global warming..." Dean rolls his eyes and moves towards his sister. Sydney shoots him a look when he gets close because she knows why he is moving towards them, to get between her and Bucky, to try and stop whatever it is that is happening in his mind. This is going to create a wedge in their barely repaired relationship, she knows that. She knows that there is going to come a time when she might have to pick between Bucky and Dean. She is dreading that day because she has no idea who she will pick. She loves Bucky and she loves Dean, but it will be a choice that once again puts herself first. And she has been there before and it destroyed her relationship with her family. She doesn't want that to happen again. She's spent so long away from Sam and Dean and for it to be another 16 years would kill her. Sydney turns to look at the door to the room, her eyes narrowing as her hearing picks up a car in the parking garage below. It stops, engine cuts before the doors open. There are two sets of footsteps, heavy boots, military boots. She pushes herself away from the desk.

"They're here" Sydney states, turning to Dean. "We're out of time"

"Then buy us some more" Dean argues, she lets out a breath and then walks out of the room. Bucky follows after her. Not about to let her face these people on her own. The door swings closed behind them when they leave.

.....

In the hallway, Sydney zips up her jacket as she walks towards the stairwell. Bucky follows behind her, watching as she almost switches herself up. All the softness and gentleness from her face has vanished. He's not really seen that from her. That quick switch. The switch to hunter-mode.

"Syd" She pauses to look at him as he jogs to catch up with her.

"I never used it on you" She assures him without him needing to ask her about the compulsion. She would never use it on someone she cares about, not if she can help it, she knows that if it came down to a protection thing, then she probably would.

"I didn't think you did" He counters, touching her arm. "I know mind control, and I know you never used it on me" He leans forward to press his forehead to hers. "I didn't know what was in the watch" He assures her, she snorts and nods.

"Yeah, I know you didn't" She promises. "James, the things that they made you do........" He nods and touches her hand at her side. "You are not at fault here" She assures him and then looks along the hall towards where she can hear the Thule agents coming. "I might have to go full 'vampire' here" She admits. "And...that's not pretty"

"They're Nazi's that are trying to bring back Hitler" He stops her and gives her a look, she smiles a little. "Do whatever you have to" He assures her. Because at the end of the day, this 'bad' thing is for the greater good. These guys are as bad as Hydra, they are men that follow old-world thinking and want to bring that back, want to bring Hitler back.

"There are only two of them" She informs him. "That should be easy for us" He nods. Two human men, whilst necromancers die like any other man, should be easy for a super soldier and a vampire. They walk away together, heading into the stairwell and down the stairs, cautious and quiet as Sydney listens for their approaching targets. She suddenly holds out her arm to stop Bucky, her ears trained to the footsteps coming up the stairs only two levels below them now. She takes a breath and lowers her arm knowing Bucky is going to wait for her go ahead. She glances around, looking for somewhere for them to hide and ambush them but they are in a stairwell and there aren't many places they can tuck themselves away.

"Let's just hit them," Bucky tells her. "They won't be expecting it anyway...." She lets out a breath and nods. They won't think that they will already know they are coming. They think that they have the upper hand here. Bucky pulls his gun from his holster and motions for her to go first, that he has her back in the coming fight. Sydney shifts her feet slightly before she moves, vamp-speeding her way to the two men and pushing one up against the wall by the throat. Bucky is, slower, but right behind her, taking a shot at the second when he goes to attack Sydney from behind. Sydney snarls at the one in her hold, her fingers tightening around his neck as he struggles and fights against her. They clearly were not expecting a vampire here.