Chapter Twenty-One

Bucky lays on the huge hotel bed as he stares up at the ceiling. He thought Sydney's bed was comfortable but this is something else. It's so soft. So hugging. He hears the bathroom door open and closes followed by Sydney's footsteps. He smiles to himself. He may have been worried about leaving the city for this weekend, but he is proving to be coping remarkably well.

"Hey" He starts but he stops when he looks at her. She's all dressed up. A black dress with a red ribbon belt. He's never seen it on her before, but he loves it.

"Why aren't you dressed yet?" she scolds moving to her bag.

"It takes me two seconds to put on pants" he answers as he leans up to watch her. She grabs a pair of earrings from the bag and attaches them to her ears. "You look..." she smiles a little and glances at him, raises an eyebrow waiting. "I mean you always look...beautiful but that dress is something else" he scoots to the edge of the bed and motions for her, she moves closer to him. "I'm going to look like...like a gremlin next to you" he mumbles wrapping an arm around her. She chuckles and tugs on his hair.

"A very beefy gremlin" she teases, he huffs slightly.

"Beefy? You mean fat?" he asks her.

"You're not fat" she scolds. "You've just put on a little weight, you're healthy now" she squeezes his biceps. "You were so skinny when we first met" she reminds him, her voice sad. "I was worried, why do you think I kept taking you out for food? Or handing you cookies and bagels and muffins?"

"You were feeding me" he answers softly. "Even then, you were looking after me" he smiles warmly up at her.

"Someone had to" She counters, he stands and sighs softly, utterly touched. He cups her face between his hands, the metal of his left hand cool against her skin.

"Where would I be without you?" he asks her, she smiles softly at him. He kisses her and then pulls back.

"Pants," She tells him. "Put pants on" he pouts and then looks at the bed. "James" she stops him. "Dinner and then sex" he smirks and pulls her closer. "No" she draws off. "I'm hungry"

"So am I" he agrees, she snorts and chuckles.

"For food" she counters, he nuzzles into her neck before he then pulls back.

"Okay," he agrees. "Whatever you want" he breaths. He would do anything for her. He knows it.

.................

Sydney sleeps against Bucky's chest, his metal arm around her waist. He's come on leaps and bounds with this arm, more sure of himself, surer that he won't hurt her with it, plus she likes sleeping with it around her, given his higher body temperature it can get warm in bed and the arm keeps her cool. Dinner was nice. Fancy nice. Bucky swears he's never eaten so much in his entire life. They laughed. They spoke. They.....it was nice, Bucky felt normal, like nothing in the world could hurt him, could hurt them. He glances down as Sydney shifts against him, her hand clutching to his stomach, nails digging in before she releases him. He places his flesh hand over hers, fingers lacing together. He brushes his thumb over the back of her hand and kisses her head.

"I love you" he admits, he knows he should have told her when she is conscious and aware but he hasn't plucked up the courage yet, for now, telling her whilst he sleeps is the best he can manage for now. He takes a deep breath and pulls her closer to him.

..................

Sydney sits on a boulder rock, her eyes on Bucky as he looks out over the view in front of him. He looks so much more peaceful than he did days ago. Like this place is soothing his soul. She smiles softly. He's always so tense, on edge, as if he is waiting for something to happen. He seems less concerned about that here. The fresh air. The soft buildings. The lack of people. They've driven away from Brasov for the day, parked up at Dealul Lempeș, it's so peaceful and calm out here. All green and nature. He takes a deep breath and turns to her, a smirk on his lips, she raises an eyebrow.

"You ever had sex outside?" He asks her. "One with nature and all that?" She shrugs and smirks, he raises an eyebrow. "Really?" he asks her.

"I was a teenager once" she answers as he sits next to her. "And I loved to break my dad's rules" she looks at him. "He didn't have a lot of rules, but still broke the ones he set" he kisses her shoulder. "My brothers just..did as they were told"

"You have brothers?" He asks, she gives a solo shoulder shrug.

"Two" she answers.

"Do you miss them?" he whispers, she nods.

"Yeah" she answers sadly.

"So call them" Bucky offers, she shakes her head and looks away from him.

"I can't" she argues. "I..they'll be mad that I left...even now" he wraps his arm around her and pulls her closer to him. She lets out a breath and smiles softly at him. "Too long, too deep, my relationship with my family can't ever be fixed" he brushes her hair back and kisses her cheek.

"You have me" he assures her, her eyes soften. "And I have you" he adds. "I'm your family" she nods and touches his face, he leans into her touch before he kisses her softly.