Chapter Fourteen

Sydney wakes to Bucky's fingers on her bare stomach, softly drawing patterns into her skin. He's smiling at his fingers. He was brave enough to go this far with Sydney. That he let go and enjoyed himself. Oh, boy, he really enjoyed himself. He made love, for the first time in however long. But he's worried, not more than ever about her. They are close. And she could be used against him. A tool to get to him. And he knows it would work. He would do anything to keep her safe and alive. She reaches up and brushes her hair back, alerting him to her awareness. She takes a deep breath and looks at him. He smiles softly at her, but there is a sadness to his eyes.

"I think you should learn some self-defense" he comments, blurts it out really, he cringes and shakes his head. He should have started with 'good morning' or he should have told her how beautiful she looks in the morning. She cocks her head, fights a smirk because, well, she is very capable of looking out for herself.

"Any particular reason for me to do so?" she asks him. He shrugs and leans closer to kiss her.

"I just want you to be safe" he answers between kisses.

"You don't have to worry" she assures him, he hums displeased with her answer. "I'm not being flippant" she counters leaning up a little. "I know how to fight" she admits. "And I fight well" he sighs.

"I'm not talking about girl fighting" She glares at him a little.

"Are you serious?" she asks him, he shakes his head.

"I didn't mean it like that" he assures her. "I just mean...."

"Look" she starts sitting up, interrupting him. "My dad raised me to fight, okay?" she asks him. "I can use a gun, I can swing a machete, I can throw a punch" he raises an eyebrow.

"Your dad taught you how to use a gun?" he asks her, she nods.

"Yeah, since I was....small, I barely remember a time I couldn't use one" she admits, he touches her shoulder. "Dad liked to now his kids could protect themselves from the horrors in this world" she adds, he strokes her cheek and gives her a sad smile. "So guns, knives, kicks, punches, yeah, I know how to use them to my advantage"

"Okay" he climbs out of her bed and pulls on his trousers before turning back to her. "Show me how to punch" he offers, she sighs and shoots him an annoyed look. "Please, indulge me" he whispers, she nods and climbs out of bed, grabbing her dressing robe from the back of her chair and pulls it on before moving closer to him. He motions with his fingers for her to give him her best shot, she sighs and shakes her head. "Come on" he pushes her. She glances back at him and then she punches him, straight in the nose. There is a crunch and he cries out a little, his head snapping back. Sydney covers her mouth and gasps, upset with herself, she knows she's hurt him.

"James?" she asks. "I'm so sorry, I didn't...I didn't mean to hit you that hard"

"That was good" he answers as he smiles a little, proud of her, blood streaming from his nose. "I wasn't expecting that sort of strength..." he touches his nose and cringes. "Teach me to doubt a dame" he mumbles to himself. Sydney takes a step back from him and turns her back just as veins creep up under her eyes.

"No, no, no" she pleads with herself. She can't lose control. Not here. Not with him. Bucky pulls his hands back as he peers into her mirror.

"Oh! Would you look at that. That is not pretty." He comments before reaching back to his nose. He notes Sydney's stiff shoulders, her frame turned away from him. "Are you okay?" he asks her.

"You should go, take care of that" she comments closing her eyes.

"Really, it's nothing" He assures her. "I'll be fine in a minute" he uses his fingers to pop his nose back into place before turning back to her. "Syd?" he asks her. "I'm okay" he offers. "You have a thing about blood?" he asks. "I can clean it up" he turns looking for something to clean his face up. "I mean, we all have things we're...freaked out by" Sydney looks down sadly knowing it's more than a freakout, because right now, she wants to eat him. She was doing so well. She hasn't touched a human in since she was turned. When she realized what she was she made a vow not to take from a human, that she would sate her hunger any other way. And she has done. But now, now that he is bleeding in her bedroom she wants nothing more than to tear into his throat and drain him. Bucky moves closer to her and she whimpers feeling him nearing her. "Syd" he states and touches her shoulder, she turns to him, the veins gone from her face. "I'm okay" he assures her as he wraps his arms around her, holding her close to his chest. "I promise" he hates that she's this upset for hurting him, for breaking his nose, but he knows it's not the worst thing that's ever been done to him, and he knows she didn't mean to. And he knows that she can throw a good punch. He will keep pushing for more training but for now, he can relax knowing she can protect herself a little. Sydney clutches to him, her hand tight on his back. She can't hurt him. Ever. She needs to keep a lid on her monster side. She can never expose him to that side of her.