Chapter Ten

My hands were crossed over my chest, sitting in the backseat. Natalie was sitting in the passenger seat while Jack drove. They were holding hands over the middle. I sighed in frustration as I heard Natalie laugh a little too loud. She threw her head back and grinned devilishly at me. She shoved her seat back until it was pressed up against my knees, making me uncomfortable. What a bitch.

            After thirty minutes of obnoxiously stupid jokes from No-Neck Natalie, we finally drop her off. Of course she won't go into her freaking house that easily. As I snuck into the passenger, I saw Natalie and Jack kiss right outside her door. Jack pulled away first and started to come back to the car when she pulled him back.

"For the love of God, girl, get your ass in the freaking house!" I screamed out the window.

Natalie glared at me as she gave Jack one last peck. Jack come back to the car and started the engine. Here comes the awkward silence. I slumped closer to the window. We arrived at a small house that was painted pink. Pink. Of all the freaking colors of the rainbow. Pink. We parked at the house next to the pink one. I sighed in relief. It was a tan house. I went inside the house and took in the caramel colored walls and settle furniture. Am I in the right house? I glanced at Jack and he walked upstairs, leaving me alone in the hall.

The silent treatment I see.

A little girl with jet black hair appeared at the top of the stairs. She looked about seven. She had skull bracelets around her tiny wrists and wore black cargo pants. She wore a black tank top and had on some depressing makeup. She looked like Wednesday from the Addams Family. But creepier. Geez, I'm in the wrong house no doubt about it. There would be no way Miss Heather would raise this kid.

Miss Heather stepped into the hall wearing a yellow apron which said Only Fools Argue with a Skunk, a Mule or the Cook. Ha. Miss Heather actually has a funny bone. I thought that got replaced with the happy bone, "Tedi! I made a snack. Will you join me?" A snack at 12 o'clock at night? I'm seriously going to gain like five pounds while I stay here.

I glanced at the creepy girl staring at me and decided it would be better to stay with Miss Heather the first couple days here. I walked into the kitchen, which looked... normal. I took a sit on the stool and Miss Heather placed a plate of... uh... I have no freaking idea what this is. It looked white and had tan syrupy thing on top. It did NOT look appetizing. I took a fork and pulled a chuck off. Oh God, it wobbled. EW! Miss Heather rummaged through the fridge as I put the piece into my mouth. Gag reflex. This thing tasted like uncooked fish and barbecue sauce smothered on top. I grabbed a napkin and gagged the pieces out.

Miss Heather grinned at me, "How is it?"

"It's uh different.... Very different. Do you watch a lot of TV cooking shows?" I asked, this looked like something my step-dad would see on TV and try to remake it with random shit in the house. Like dog treats. I shuddered.

Miss Heather beamed, "Yes! Do you watch them too?"

Hell naw, "Not really."

The little girl sauntered into the room. She sat down on the stool next to me and just stared. Um... okay. This girl was making this room awkward. I glanced at Miss Heather and she was just beaming at me, motioning me to eat some more. Oh God, this was awkward.

I pretended to yawn, "Oh, I'm going to hit the hay. Where am I sleeping?"

Miss Heather pointed upstairs, "Ava, mind if you show Tedi to her room? Make her feel welcome alright?"

The little thing ignored her and walked upstairs. I followed, saying goodnight to Miss Heather. The girl pushed open the door at the end of the hall and pointed on the inside. I stepped in and sighed. This room was infected by Miss Heather. The walls were colored yellow making it seem like the sun was shining in here. A big stuffed bear was sitting in the corner, watching me. There was a small twin sized bed with pink Barbie covers.