3

Hero

"Man, it feels so fucking good to not have somebody looking over my shoulder all the time anymore," I said, glancing over at Henny as I continued to jump rope.

He smiled, finishing up his set of bicep curls. "Yeah, well, you still need to go kinda easy."

"No, I know," I said, "but Mom literally used to have to set an hour alarm for me. My therapist finally cleared me to work out freely and with no time constraints."

"Good for you, man," Henry said, and I could hear the genuine happiness in his tone. Henry had supported and pushed my recovery more than anyone, really, and it was nice to have his support.

I dropped my jump rope, resting my hands on my hips. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror, smiling as I flexed. I'd almost gotten myself back to the physique I had before I fell down the miserable hole that I'd fallen down.

"I'm packing on muscle quick," I said, nodding as I looked over at Henny.

"Sure are," he said, smiling a proud smile.

I clapped, picking up the barbell he'd just gotten done with. I began doing bicep curls, looking over at him to find a cautious look on his face.

"What's up?" I asked, grunting as I did my last rep.

"I'm assuming you're not partaking in any sports this year?" He asked, biting down on his lip.

"What?" I asked, "n-no, I wanna play ball."

"Have you talked to Uncle Jo about that?"

"I'll be eighteen by the time season starts," I said, "I don't technically think he'll have a say anymore."

"Hero, I think you need to talk to him," he said, "he watched everything happen firsthand."

"Okay, it happened to me," I said, "if I'm willing to go back, then he should be willing to let me go back."

"I'm not trying to overstep or push you into not doing it," he said, "I'm just, I don't know, looking out for you."

"My boy," I said, patting his chest as I walked by, "you know I appreciate it."

"I know you do," he said, nodding.

I took a sip of water, changing the song.

"One last thing, are you going to have time to actually be involved in sports with the baby?"

"I'll make it work," I said, "or I'll figure it out. I don't know. I always thought that football and soccer were it, like I could never love anything more. But apparently the love for your child is greater, so, we'll see."

He chuckled. "You guys picked a name yet?"

"I keep telling her I think she should take the reins on that," I said, "and speaking of her, she'll be over any minute. Wanna come on upstairs?"

"Yeah," he said, throwing his shirt around his neck. We jogged upstairs and I walked into the kitchen, lifting an eyebrow at the sight of Mom and Dad leaned against the counter.

"You guys have to be too old for that."

Dad let out a heavy sigh before I could even finish my sentence, pulling away from her. "I have the biggest cockblock of a son."

I shot him a proud smile, bracing my elbows on the island. "Yo, look at these muscles that are back."

"That's my boy," he said, smiling.

"Yeah, they'll be good for football and soccer," I said, my eyes locked on him.

He shot me a glance, and I saw exactly what he was thinking in his face. He tilted his head over, shaking it.