5

Henry

I laughed as I attempted to balance a mimosa glass in the palm of my hand, my laugh coming to an abrupt halt when I nearly dropped the glass.

"Watch it," Zach said.

I flipped him off, making him lean against the patio doors with a grin. "When?"

I smiled and pecked his lips before opening the door. "Later."

I caught a glimpse of Josie, who had been doing the exact same thing all day — lying in a lawn chair, tanning, avoiding the world.

"She okay?" Zach asked.

"We're about to see," I cautiously said, walking over to her chair.

"Did someone say homemade mimosa?"

She looked up from her book, lowering her sunglasses. Her lips pulled into a smile, her eyes meeting mine. "Did you make it?"

"Yep. Recipe I found on Pinterest."

She laughed, closing her book. She sat upright and held out her hand, grabbing the mimosa from my hand. She took a sip, lifting an eyebrow before her lips pulled up into a smile.

"Wow," she said, nodding.

"You like it?" I chuckled, "it smelled so good."

"It is amazing," she said, "I am thoroughly impressed."

"What I like to hear," I said, rubbing my hands together, "you okay?"

She nodded, re-adjusting her sunglasses. "I'm fine."

"Okay, I might not be dealing with a woman anymore, but I do know that means you're not fine."

She smiled up at me. "I'm good. I promise."

I bit down on my lip. "I know you were lying the other night."

She let out a sigh, leaning her head back against her chair.

"He's been an ass lately," I said, "definitely towards you. You have every right to be upset about it."

She looked up at me. "He hasn't been an ass. He's busy and overworked."

"Jo-"

"Seriously," she said, "everything is okay. Can I drink my mimosa and tan in peace?"

I nodded, shooting her one last glance before I walked back inside.

"I can't get anything out of her," I said, shrugging as I walked past Zach.

"Well, what makes her feel better?"

"Eros used to," I muttered, raking a hand through my hair, "and you know what? The sad thing is that he still d-"

I was cut short by the door flying open and Jesse walking in, a box of beer sitting on his shoulder. I smiled, nodding at him.

"Where's my girl?" Jesse jokingly asked, and about that time, Josie walked inside.

She scoffed and turned back around, making him chuckle and swiftly place the beer on the counter. "I brought beer."

"I'm a woman of taste, Jesse," she said.

"Yeah, I already made her a mimosa," I said, "a damn good one, at that."

Jesse smiled over at me and back at Josie. "Natty light."

She rolled her eyes. "Are we in Alabama or Chicago?"

"Roll tide, baby," Jesse said, opening the box of beer, "and Josie, I've heard stories about you and natty light."

"Mm," she muttered, walking into the kitchen as she checked her phone.