30

Josie

"Another house party," Fran said, looking over at me.

"Relax, Frannie. You're still a good girl."

I grinned at her as I finished putting on my lip gloss, letting out a heavy sigh as I looked at Hero in the driver's seat. "That was a speed bump, Hero."

"I know it was, I don't give a fuck."

"Is Jesse there already?" Fran asked, chewing on her lip.

"Mm hmm. Is Brian?"

"He's on his way."

"Hey, if Brian, the designated driver, decides to take a sip of alcohol, please text me," Hero said, looking back at us.

"He won't drink if he knows it's his responsibility to keep us alive and well," Fran confidently said, "but thank you."

"Sure you don't wanna stop in for a few minutes and say hi?" I asked, shooting Hero a glance as he stopped the car.

"Nah," he said, "I told Amelia I'd bring her street tacos as soon as possible."

I smiled. I hoped Hero loved this new version of himself as much as everyone else did.

"Be good," he said, squeezing Fran's hand as she got out the car.

"Love ya," I said, getting out of the car. I smiled at Jesse waiting at the door, spinning around.

"Isn't my dress cute?"

"So cute," he said, wrapping me up in a warm hug.

"I smell weed already," I said, grimacing.

"Hold your nose," he said, grinning down at me.

"Hey," I flirtatiously said, smiling up at him.

"Hey," he said, matching my tone as he trailed his eyes down me.

I'd become rather fond of Jesse. And that was something I never would have envisioned happening... probably because I never envisioned my life without Eros in it.

"The fuckin', uh, punch bowl of alcohol," Jesse began, tucking a chunk of hair behind my ear, "it's dog shit."

"There's Brian," Fran said, waving at him as he parked on the grass.

"My baby," he said, jumping out of his truck.

"Is that Dad's?" Fran asked, laughing as she accepted his bear hug. He lifted her up and pressed a kiss to her cheek.

"It is," he said, "he even knew where I was going with it."

She laughed, shooting me a smile as he wrapped an arm around her shoulders. "Wanna go inside?"

"Let's go," I said, softly interlocking mine and Jesse's fingers as I led us inside.

As soon as the two minute mark rolled around, I was sick of saying hey to people. I landed in the kitchen and let out a sigh, leaning against the counter.

"Ah, the stress of being known by everyone," Jesse said, grinning at me as he opened the fridge. "Want a beer?"

"I'm not a beer girl."

"You can be one for a night," he said, holding one out to me.

I grabbed it and popped it open, looking up at him before I took a sip.

"Ugh," I grimaced, shaking my head, "if I could put a taste to urine, that would be it."

He laughed, looking down at me. "You're cute."