14

Josie

These last few weeks of summer had been... different. A good change of pace.

Eros was attached to my hip like a child to its mother's. It had taken time, but I was trusting him again.

It almost felt like life before everything seemed to fall apart — every night was spent at our house or Uncle Jo's house, everyone, including Eros, hanging out and spending time together.

Just like old times.

"Good morning," I sang, walking downstairs.

Dad looked up from his book, smiling. "Good morning, princess."

He and Mom were cuddling on the couch, her head in his lap. I could see the look of admiration on her face as she looked up at him.

I walked over to the pair, pressing kisses to both of their heads. "Sleep well?"

"Yes," Mom said, "we woke up and went for a sunrise run."

"Mm," I muttered, "guess I should probably be doing that since I'm cheer captain."

"Eh, it's summer break," Dad said, shooting me a glance and a smile before looking back down at his book.

"Henny up yet?" I asked.

"Uh, not yet," Dad said, flipping the page of his book.

I looked down at the cover, tilting my head over.

"Why are you reading business books?" I asked, "don't you already know everything?"

He humbly smiled, shaking his head. "Never."

"Got any plans today?" Mom asked, sitting upright.

"Uh, I think-"

I was cut off by a loud knock on the door, making Dad look towards it. "Well, if Henry wasn't awake already, now he is."

I smiled, knowing that was Eros's knock. "It's E."

I ran over to the door, opening it.

"Good morning," he greeted, pulling a bouquet of flowers out from behind his back.

"Good morning," I said, smiling as I grabbed them from his hands.

I pressed a kiss to his cheek, pulling him inside.

"Morning, Eros," Mom greeted, walking towards the kitchen.

"Hey, Mrs. Lex," he said, "where's Freddy boy?"

Dad walked into the kitchen, shooting him a glance. "Hey, kid."

"What do you guys have on the agenda today?" Eros asked, bracing his elbows on the counter.

I think he knew that pretty much everyone had lost the bond they'd once had with him, and he was just trying his hardest to find it again.

"A meeting," Dad said, pulling a coffee cup out of the cupboard, "think I'm gonna go to the soccer practice today."

"Oh, shit, really?" He asked, smiling.

"Yeah," he said, "Coach has been asking."

"So no pressure on me," he said, smiling as he stood upright.

Dad clenched his jaw, a smile tugging at his lips. "Still worried about impressing me?"

"Well, duh," he said, "I'm gonna marry your daughter."

I looked over at him, smiling.

Mom rubbed Dad's back as she walked past. "I'm teaching hot yoga in an hour. Going to get ready."