24

Josie

I hated when cheerleading practice ran into soccer practice.

Because that meant I had to be within eyeshot of Eros.

I felt like I'd been falling down a tree from the very top — and every branch I hit on the way down was a stage of grief.

Now, I was laying on the ground.

Completely unsure of what I felt about him.

The last thing I could focus on was cheer — all I could l was stare at him. Did I hate him enough to throw twelve years down the drain, or did I hate him too much to even consider it?

Every time he'd glance my way, I'd look away, but I'd look back and catch a glimpse of sadness on his face. He looked different, much calmer.

Maybe he's finally off the steroids!

"Hey, cap?"

I looked back at one of the girls, snapping out of my trance. "Huh?"

"We good to go?" She asked, smiling a sweet smile.

"Uh, yeah," I said, nodding, "yeah. Good job today."

"Thanks," she said, "bye!"

I sat on the field, chewing on my lip. I saw Henry keeping as far of a distance as he possibly could from Eros, and Jesse doing the same.

Which was probably the best idea.

But Eros was alone. I couldn't help but to think about how it felt losing his girlfriend, his best friends, his second pair of parents, and the respect of anyone that had found out. Mentally, he was probably going through more than I could imagine right now.

But so are you.

Before even thinking, I bolted up and walked over to Eros when Henry wasn't looking. I bit down on my lip, earning Eros's eyes.

He squinted and looked away from me. "You probably shouldn't be over here."

"You don't want me to be?" I asked.

He looked back over at me, stopping the ball under his foot.

"You have no clue how much I want to see you-"

"What the fuck are you doing?" Henry yelled, making me step between the pair before he could get any closer.

"You're not allowed to speak to her-"

"Henry, I came to him," I said, looking up at him, "this was me."

He looked down at me, his brows knitted together. "What?"

"I just needed to know," I began, shaking my head, "th-that he's okay-"

"He's just fucking fine," Henry snapped, nodding.

I looked over at Jesse, and the expression on his face almost broke my heart. He looked... sad, yet hopeless, yet confused, all at the same time.

"Just let me speak to him," I softly said, "and I'll be done."

Henry looked at Eros, his tongue in his bottom lip. "I swear to fuck, if I see you lift a finger, or-or-"