26

Fran

"Hey, has anyone seen Brian?" I asked, as soon as I walked up to Hero, Amelia, and Henry.

"Hello to you, too," Hero said, leaning against his locker.

"He didn't even say good morning before he left," I said, "he always comes and wakes me up. And I didn't see him after he got off last night. I need to know he's o-"

"Relax, please," Hero said, "I saw him leave this morning. He's okay."

"Where is he?" I asked.

"He's here," Amelia said, looking back at Hero, "we saw him in the parking lot, yeah?"

"Yeah," Hero said, his eyes lingering on Amelia's face a bit longer than they should've.

If I wasn't in a panic, I would have gushed over how cute they were. I noticed his finger wrap around one of the belt loops of her skirt, making sure to keep her close to him.

"Hey, babe," Josie said, approaching us with two iced coffees in her hands, "you look stressed, are you okay?"

"I haven't seen Brian."

She smiled, and before I knew it, I felt an arm wrapping around my neck from behind.

"Good morning," he whispered in my ear, holding out a bouquet of flowers.

I let out a heavy sigh, spinning around to face him. I grinned and gave him a playful shove. "Good save."

He chuckled, wrapping me up in a hug.

I couldn't even ask what the occasion was, because Brian got me flowers pretty much every day of the week.

"Got you some other stuff, too," he said.

He held a bag out to me, smiling. I grabbed it and looked in it, seeing some of my favorite snacks.

"Okay, what's the occasion?" I asked, grinning.

He shook his head. "Nothing. Just had to stop at the store this morning."

I smiled, pressing a soft kiss to his lips. "Thank you."

"I already asked Ms. Fitch if I could keep the flowers in her vase until we go home. She said yes."

I giggled. "Okay."

I took a step away from him and examined his outfit. He was wearing sweats, his matching set for football, which he never wore. He could usually be found in jeans and a t-shirt at school.

"Are you cold?" I asked, smiling up at him, "you're real covered up."

He lifted his eyebrows, looking like he was lost for words.

I tilted my head over, grinning.

His eyes met Hero's, and I turned to look at Hero, too. Hero's eyes were wide, his jaw taut.

"What am I missing?"

"Nothing," Brian said, keeping his eyes locked on Hero.

"I think we're both missing something," Amelia said, "because it's hot as fuck outside."

Hero cleared his throat. "We probably need to go to class-"

"What is going on?" I asked.

I trailed my eyes down Brian, searching for anything I could find. His mom was in jail, currently — she couldn't have gotten to him.

But she knows people-

"No, did your mom do s—" I couldn't even finish my sentence because of my panic. He pulled me into him, shaking his head.