• CHAPTER 5 •

Ace

"What are you doing here?" I finally lost the grip on her arm as soon as we made our way back to my office. I shut the door behind me and returned my gaze to her. I could see she was nervous. I wasn't sure if she was afraid of what she saw or of me, but by the way she looked at me, I knew she was dying to make sure her father had nothing to do with the drugs in the Lab. As much as I overthought it, at that moment, when all my secrets were exposed in front of her eyes, I was concerned about her finding out.

    She was silent. Her brown eyes never left mine, expecting me to break the ice. She pushed her long wavy hair behind her ear. "Talia, didn't I tell you not to enter this room?" I hissed under my breath.

    "Yeah well what did I know? I didn't know your office had a secret door that leads to a hidden room," she finally found her voice. She stepped closer to me, "Ace," she took a deep breath, "please tell me what I just saw wasn't drugs. Please tell me that this wasn't a drugs lab."

    "Talia,"

    "Tell me my father had nothing to do with this." She begged some more, and I had nothing to tell her. I didn't want her to know the truth, no matter how much Frank told me that his daughter needed to know what he does for a living, at least after he dies, I didn't want to witness her shock.

    Before I could open my mouth to answer, I heard gunshots. She screamed and looked at me for confirmation. I looked at the room door then back at her. I hurried to lock the room door then ran back at her. I typed the password to the door to the lab, opened it then dragged her with me. "Boys," I yelled. Before I could say or explain anything, each one raised his weapon and walked past me, and the lab workers knew how to get out. "Let the others get ready and wait for me."

    "Ace, what's happening?"

     I shut all the lights and left a small one, enough for her to see around her. "What is happening Ace?" She yelled.

    "Talia," I held her two shoulders and forced her to look at me. She was confused, and no one could blame her. "You will stay in this room, you won't come out until I come and unlock the door. No one knows the password to this door except me." I looked into her eyes and nodded. "You won't leave this room, Talia, do you hear me? Please listen to what I say for once."

    She nodded then shook her head then her eyes flew behind me to the entrance. Something inside me broke for her. Her eyes were getting wider with time, scanning the lab inch by inch. Her skin was getting colder. I blinked. Poor girl, coming in a whole gang, thinking she will be living with ordinary people then slowly realizes every single shit that was happening because she gets thrown in it little by little.

    Time was ticking and the men were waiting for me, and the yelling and calls for my name from outside were getting louder, but I didn't want to leave her like this. But on the other hand, I couldn't do anything other than to keep her safe.

    "Hey, look at me, Talia, look at me," our eyes locked, "as long as I'm next to you, nothing will happen to you." She nodded. "Don't be scared." She nodded again. "take this as my promise to you Talia, as long as I am alive no one will be able to hurt you."

    I turned back and hurried to the door. I took one last look at her then shut the door behind me. I made sure that it was hidden even if I knew that once it's closed, no one would be able to even suspect that it was a door. I took out my gun and hurried downstairs.

    "Ace! Show yourself." Fox? I closed my eyes and threw my head to the back, finally making sense of everything that has been happening. When I made it to the second floor, I saw all the men in front of the door, waiting for my signal to open it and attack. "Ace, it's Fox! Come out or I will break this damn door." I rolled my eyes.