• CHAPTER 39 •

Talia

We walked into the house, followed by Ace and Joe. The drive was silent, a little bit awkward for me. I didn't know how to act around Joe. I wanted to conciliate Ace and assure him that I was fine. I saw fear in his eyes I never thought I would be able to see. But caught a glimpse of sadness in Joe's eyes for running for Ace's arms. But I was a little confused, not knowing why that happened and a little sad that Ace was being silent and didn't ask about me.

I walked straight to my room, not expecting Ace to follow. When he did, I turned to face him, wanting to know what he had to say but couldn't. But he didn't say anything. He stood there, sadly looking into my eyes.

"What's wrong?"

He softly smiled and approached me, caressing my cheek, "I was so scared."

I smiled back, "I am okay."

He nodded, trying to believe my words. I admit that it was hard to believe that someone can be so calm after everything that happened. But I really was okay.

"I am going to take a shower, okay?"

I turned to leave but he interrupted me, "Lia." I looked back at him.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yeah," I smiled and tilted my head. "I'm okay, Ace."

He nodded again and walked to the door as I walked to the bathroom.

For once in a very long time, I stood under the water with an empty head. I was confused about my own feelings, unsure if I was really fine or was ignoring my pain to keep myself sane. How could I even be okay when I stayed in an abandoned garage for almost two nights? I sighed and wiped my face from the water, wanting to show any sadness or fear but found none in me to show. Was it because I got used to this life that nothing could affect me? Or was it because I wasn't used to it and wasn't sure how to act?

I got out of the bathroom and gasped when I saw Ace sitting in my bed again. His head was bowed and his hands were holding onto each other. He looked up as I tightened the towel around my body.

We stayed silent and motionless. We kept a steady eye contact making our eyes have a conversation we couldn't understand ourselves. I could tell he wanted to apologize but couldn't find the words to say. He wanted to make sure I was okay but didn't know how. He felt like he should hug me, kiss me, but didn't want to look weak. When his adam-apple moved down, I knew he was getting ready to talk.

"What's wrong?" I asked him, caressing his cheek. I stared into his eyes, trying to understand what he wanted to say but all I saw was sadness.

He shook his head but I insisted on finding out, "tell me."

"It's just-" he took a deep breath and looked away, "I promised to keep you safe, I promised you no one will be able to hurt you as long as I am alive. I wasn't able to keep my promise and you didn't even need me to help you."

I frowned and stared at him more, wanting to understand what he just said. I knew then that the last sentence was what hurt him and stayed quiet so he could speak some more.

"You helped yourself just fine and didn't need me at all." He smiled to hide the seriousness in his voice but I knew by this exact smile that he meant every word he said.

"No."

He raised his eyebrows, shocked by what I said. And I didn't take it back.

"Okay," he chuckled, sadness filled in his voice. I took a seat next to him in bed, making sure my towel was in place before sitting down.