• CHAPTER 27 •

"I still don't understand how you got my number," Yuna said, walking in the apartment. A week went by and I felt myself accept the fact

I closed the door behind her and stayed behind as she was taking a look at the apartment. "Everything is still the same."

"He will be here soon. I want him to open the door and find you right in front of him."

"Don't you think that will give him a heart attack?" She giggled and I joined her.

"Maybe," I shrugged.

She walked to the same frame Joe looked at everyday and examined it. She picked it up closer to see it better.

"He is supposed to be back soon, he told me today Ace is not at the house so he will leave early." I tried to change the mood but I felt like mentioning Ace wasn't the smartest idea based on her reaction. Her soft facial expression hardened. She placed the frame back in its place on the wall and nodded. "Yuna," I stepped closer to her. She pushed her hair behind her ear and avoided my eyes, "not everyone that is a criminal is doing it because he had a choice and once they get into it, they don't have a choice but to stay."

She nodded. "I just wish he never chose this road."

"You know Joe is a good person and he misses you so much." She nodded. We sat down on the couch.

"You didn't tell me though," she smiled, narrowing her phoenix eyes, "why do you care so much about Joe?" She raised her eyebrows, "you searched for me and brought me here for him, you're defending him and explaining his point of you, you know." She teased.

I giggled, "it's nothing like that, it's just," I sighed, "he did a lot of things to make me happy so I'm trying to pay back."

"How did you even get my number?"

"I stole his phone." We both started laughing but the silence fell on us when we heard a key twisting in the lock. She quickly got up, unsure of what to do. "Just stay there," I whispered.

"I'm back, Tal." He yelled, closing the door, not seeing who was behind him. When he turned around he froze. I could see it in his black eyes that he couldn't believe what he was seeing. "Y–Yuna," he whispered, trying to make himself believe his sight.

"Hey, Joe." She assured him and he smiled.

"Yuna," he repeated as I saw his breath was getting quicker and his excitement was growing. "Yuna," he rushed to her and pulled her in his arms, embracing her for all the years that separated them. She hugged him back, wanting to forgive him but unable to forget who he was. He pulled away, looking at her face, making sure that his eyes weren't deceiving him before pulling her back in his arms.

I smiled, watching Joe's eyes water and Yuna's heart softening. The tension eased a little when she hugged him back tightly.

"I missed you," he mumbled and sniffed, blinking his tears away, not wanting to show them.

The rest of the day was a mix of getting to know Yuna and trying to get Yuna comfortable with Joe. At times, I couldn't ease the awkward silence but I knew that this was the longest conversation they ever had after she found out his lifestyle. We cooked together something to eat and ate on the table where we shared stories of ourselves. They shared moments of their childhood which, I felt like, made them open up a little bit more.

"Yuna, stay the night." I said.

"I have to go back home, my boyfriend would–"

"Stay," Joe quietly said, cutting the excuse she was about to spit. She looked at him then at me, unable to find anything to say.

"You can leave after breakfast tomorrow. We'll eat together then Joe will drive you wherever you want."

"You can sleep with Talia in your room too, I didn't move anything." He added and she smiled.

"Okay," she softly said.

I gave her one of my pyjamas, hoping that it would fit her and let her change in the room. I walked back out to Joe's warm smile.

"Thank you Talia," he spoke first.

"For what? I saw how much it pains you just looking at the pictures and I knew that you tried many times to reconnect with her but she refused so I wanted to try."

He shook his head, his eyes watering at the thought of his sister sleeping in her room again after not seeing her for years, "it really means a lot Talia, I–I haven't seen her since forever, I can't believe she's here. Thank you Tal," he pulled me in his arms, hugging me tightly. I chuckled hugging him back.

"I just wanted to show you that I can make you happy too," I jokingly said. He softly pushed me back and stared into my eyes with a soft smile on his lips that soon after were pressed on mine. I was shocked so I pulled away, looking at him. "Look, I know how you feel about Ace, and I know how you feel about me. But I know and you know how complicated Ace is." He placed his hand on my cheek caressing it, "give me a chance Talia,"

"But I–"

"I know. I know you don't feel anything," he placed a kiss on my forehead then my cheek, "I will make you love me."

I smiled. "I–I just," I sighed and looked away, "be patient with me," I looked back at him, realizing that he knows exactly what I meant.

"Take all the time you want. I will not pressure you or force anything." He shook his head and I nodded. My heart started beating faster when he pushed my chin up to meet his eyes again. He placed a kiss on my nose, "is this okay?" I nodded. He placed another on my cheek, whispering again "is this okay?" I nodded again. He moved a little down kissing the corner of my lips making all my body beg for his lips to be on mine, "is this okay, Tal?" I nodded. He got closer, leaving only inches between our lips and whispered, "how about this?" I breathed louder and my heart beat faster, I looked into his eyes, wanting to beg him but couldn't find my voice, wanting to kiss him but getting too shy. He approached me and our lips were touching but still not kissing. I saw him close his eyes, choosing to let all the other senses work to create the perfect intimacy for a perfect kiss, "is this okay?" his words were barely heard but I heard him clearly.

I simply nodded then he kissed me making my heart fall to my knees as our lips moved in sync.