• CHAPTER 45 •

Talia

"You shouldn't regret doing something you didn't know what it would lead to," Joe said, giving me the hot tea. He sat right next to me, making me turn a little to be able to face him.

"I should have never given her a chance after all the years she wasn't there," I huffed in the hot tea, crossing my legs on the couch.

"You just have a sweet heart," he tilted his head with a sweet smile making me break my gaze with him. I knew then that giving my mother a second chance was not the only thing I regretted. "What's wrong?" he noticed my change of mood.

I shook my head, "Nothing. I just think I give second chances to everyone without thinking about it." I chuckled, avoiding his eyes.

"Ace?"

His name made my heart drop but I wasn't sure why. Did I lose all feelings for him because of what happened? Or am I just angry at what he did?

"I realized that I was dumb. I was so in love with him to realize that you–" I shook my head knowing that I shouldn't say what I was thinking about "that I didn't make the right choice,"

"You were just following your heart, Tal." And somehow, he was defending me, after everything I did to him.

I looked up at him. His eyes were soft and his smile was forgiving. How could this be the same person who kicked me out? But I was sure that he did it because he knew what my heart wanted. "I wish I never left you. I wish I could go back in time and never leave your apartment when you told me to. I wish it was not too late but it's okay," I scoffed, "I got used to making bad choices."

The silence filled the room and my regrets were added once more.

"But it's not too late, Tal."

"What?"

"I still love you."

"Are–are you serious Joe?" I stumbled.

"Of course I am."

"But I hurt you."

"And I still love you."

"Aren't you scared I leave you again?"

He smiled and put his cup of tea on the table. "I will try with you over and over again."

"But I am not sure of my feelings, I–I was just saying how I–,"

"I won't let a chance with you pass any pain."

"But what about Ace? He will–"

"I will always choose you, Tal."

"You work together."

"I choose you. Over Ace and over my job."

"What if–"

He gets closer to me, takes my cup of tea and puts it on the table next to his, "Talia," he holds my hands in his making my heart pace faster, "I love you."

"Joe,"

"I love you, Talia. I will always love you. Even if you don't love me. You will always be the one for me."

I looked down at my hands, only thinking about Ace. What he did hurt me. I wondered if I would ever forgive him for kissing someone else when he should have tried to make me feel better, try to assure me when I was scared of him, he should have apologized for breaking his promise and promising me he would never hurt anyone again.

"Okay, let's talk about something else," Joe tapped my knee and leaned to take his cup of tea and handed me mine. I took a sip right away. "Yuna is getting married."