• CHAPTER 43 •

Talia

He followed me up the stairs and opened the door to my room. My heart was pacing in my chest. I couldn't believe what I saw. It was brutal watching a man get killed my dogs, yelling in pain and screaming for help. And on the other hand, the person you trust with your life was standing there, watching him, enjoying the view.

"Talia! What is happening?"

I wiped my tears away and took a deep breath.

"What happened?" I yelled, "you just killed someone. You killed someone with dogs." The images of him laying on the grass, attacked by dogs was still haunting me.

"Talia! I had to! I had to kill him, I had to—I had to save us, save you."

"You could have tried anything else," I sobbed not trusting him walking closer to me anymore.

"I tried," he yelled and I startled and took two steps back. He saw it and changed his tone, "I really did, baby. The only way to keep us safe was to kill him. I did this for you to not be scared!"

"But now I'm terrified," I sniffed as more tears rush down my cheeks."

"Of what!" He screamed, being impatient with me.

"I'm sorry, I can't—can't anymore." Before I turned to leave his hands were gripping onto my arms and his eyes were harshly looking into mine, "Talia, I did everything to keep you safe. What the fuck is scaring you!" He spoke through his clenched teeth.

"You," I murmured, not wanting anything more than for his grip to loosen on me and to let me walk away.

He loosened his hold but his hands were still around my arms.

"No Lia," he shook his head as his eyes got softer, "I will never hurt you, I could never hurt you."

I shook my head, wanting to tell him to let me go but he started speaking again as tears formed into his eyes but were stopped from rolling down his cheeks.

"I would do anything for you. I would kill for you. I would die for you. I would burn the whole world down just so you can feel safe. It kills me to know you're scared of being around me," he tilted his head, "it kills me to know you're scared of me, Talia." His hands were getting colder and his eyes more red.

"This was the only thing I asked of you. And you promised. You promised not to take someone's life, Ace," I sobbed when he finally let a single tear roll down his cheek.

"I didn't have a choice," he softly spoke.

"I don't too," I shrugged and pulled my arms from his hands.

"Please," he begged, "please don't go," he shook his head, "please, Lia, don't leave me."

I shook my head, let my tears roll down my cheeks as I walked out of the room. I was ready to leave but Joe stepped in front of me before I could open the door.

"Where are you going Talia?"

That was the first time speaking to me after I chose to stay with Ace.

"I am going home. I have to go." I tried to walk passed him but he stepped in front of me again.

"You can't leave tonight. You can't leave now at all."

"I want to!" I firmly said even if tears were wetting my shirt.

"Talia, you can't," he calmly said, "it's not safe going out after–" he stopped himself, took a deep breath then carried on, "everyone will be after us now. Fox's death won't pass so easily." He explained.