⭐⭐|¦_The Rise Of Kronos_¦|⭐⭐

"There." Rachel pointed to a hole in the side of a nearby hill, a tunnel that was boarded up and chained.

"An old mine entrance." Annabeth said in disbelief, while everyone got out. I transformed back.

"A door to the Labyrinth?" I asked. "How can you be sure?"

"Well, look at it!" Rachel said. "I mean...I can see it, okay?"

I looked carefully again, and there was a symbol of delta inscribed. Percy went ahead and put his finger on it. There was a crunching sound and the door opened to the Labyrinth.

The dirt tunnels turned to stone. They wound around and split off and basically tried to confuse us, but Rachel had no trouble guiding us.

"Heatblast! Oh man, it's so dark here." I said, transforming, and making a big fireball in my hand.

We told her we needed to get back to New York, and she hardly even paused when the tunnels offered a choice

Rachel and Annabeth started up a
conversation as we walked. Annabeth asked her more about her background, but Rachel wasn't answering, so they started talking about architecture.

It turned out that Rachel knew something about it from studying art. They talked about different facades on buildings around New York like "Have you seen this one," and blah, blah, blah, so I hung back behind Percy and Nico in uncomfortable silence.

"Thanks for coming after us," Percy said in gratitude. Nico's eyes narrowed. He looked suspicious, careful around me. "I owed you for the ranch, Percy. Plus...I wanted to see Daedalus for myself. Minos was right, in a way. Daedalus should die. Nobody should be able to avoid death that
long. It's not natural."

"That's what you were after all along," Percy said. "Trading Daedalus's soul for your sister's." Wait what?

"You were trying to revive your sister?" Nico walked for another fifty yards before answering. "Yeah. My sister was the only one who took care of me. It hasn't been easy for me. Being the son of Hades, I only have dead for the company. Knowing that I'll never be accepted by the living. Only the dead respect me, and they only do that out of fear."

"You could be accepted," Percy said. "You could have friends at camp."

He stared at Percy, wanting to believe every word of his. "Do you really believe that, Percy?"

Percy didn't answer. I said "Look, if you take this matter unto yourself, you will see that people will start accepting you. Otherwise, they will think you don't want anything with them and you'll remain an outcast."

Percy ran into Rachel, who'd stopped in front of us. In the dim lighting from my fireball, her face looked like one of Nico's specters.

"Is it that way?" Annabeth asked.

"No," Rachel said nervously. "Not at
all." She looked downright scared.

"Why are we stopping then?" I asked.
"Listen," Nico said. I heard wind coming down the tunnel, as if the exit were close. And I smelled
something, and it smelled like a breath mint, or a leaf.