03 | pop ups

Zolina 'Zo' Smith
[ mon, oct 31st, 🎃 9:03 AM ]
Town Square Apartments

Zolina grimaced in the bathroom mirror as she tied her braids up into their usual bun for work; the slight pull causing the stitches to stretch across the cut through her eyebrow

She was still trying to process the events from last night; from being seriously assaulted, to having the rude customer from her job come to her rescue.

In addition to the lack of Uber drivers in the shady area, all of her texts and calls went unanswered throughout the night. It resulted in her walking that short, but dangerous distance home.

She should have been stuck on Ace being at the right place at the right time, or should have at least been traumatized from the man that hit her in the face.

But all she could feel— each and every emotion, was directed at Craig.

Craig had been her boyfriend for two years, but when he missed her set last night, she wasn't surprised.

To top off being a cheater, he was also unreliable. He stopped showing interest in her 'little' singing gigs the same way he did with her painting, and simply remembering to spend time with her.

Zolina tried to cut him completely out of her life after they broke up three months ago, but he kept popping up and trying to win her back.

It was like clockwork. He would beg to come over, and she would continue to let him in. All because he was one of the very few steady relationships in her life.

But at this point, her soft spot for him was hardening.

Just as she had finished getting ready for the day, she heard knocks coming from her front door.

Standing on her toes to look through the peep hole, she instantly rolled her eyes before opening it.

He can't be serious.

"Baby, I am so— What the fuck!" Craig exclaimed at the sight of her. "What happened?!"

He tried to let himself in, but Zolina blocked the doorway. When he reached out for her face, she slapped his hand away.

"What happened?!" He asked again.

She took a moment to take him in and chuckled to herself, "You look like you had a nice night."

Craig's eyes were bloodshot red, hair was dishevelled, and his clothes were clearly slept in.

The orange wristband tainted with sticky liquor, wrinkled and dingy; was clear evidence of a night of drinking.

"Look, I was on my way to get you, I swear," he began to explain. "But Ricky—"

"Honestly," she held a hand up to stop him. "I really don't give a fuck, Craig."