40 | his first, and last

Grayson 'Ace' Valentine III
[ mon, mar 20th 6:09 PM ]
Indigo's - Art Gallery

Silence fell over the gallery as Indigo took her spot beside a sheet-covered wall

Silence fell over the gallery as Indigo took her spot beside a sheet-covered wall. Ace and his friends stood near the front of the crowd, watching their women who were huddled off to the side.

Today was Zolina's 22nd birthday, and Indigo decided to put together what was supposed to be a small event to ease her back into things.

However, once the word got out, it seemed that the entire art community came out to see her.

"So!" Indigo clapped her hands together. "I know a lot of you have been asking me for weeks; 'Where's Zolina? Will we ever get new work from her? Did she stop painting?!'"

Indigo took a deep breath as she tried to visibly contain her emotions.

"I asked for patience, because I knew the time would come where she would be able to tell y'all herself— thank God." She pointed upwards and fanned at her eyes. "Lemme stop rambling before I start crying."

The women's circle broke apart, revealing a very jittery Zolina. Ace watched as she rubbed her palms against her fitted, long sleeved dress, the Cuban bracelet sliding down her wrist.

She instantly found his face in the crowd, giving him a nervous smile as he winked and mouthed the words, 'I love you.'

My fuckin' Baby.

"Without further ado." Indigo went on. "Your favourite artist— clearly —and also the birthday girl... Miss. Zolina Smith. Big 22!"

The guests erupted with applauses and cheers. A few of them even yelled out birthday wishes as Zolina took Indigo's spot near the wall. She looked out at everyone, bashfully waving as her other hand toyed with the chain around her neck.

- - -

Flashback
[ ...earlier that day ]
Aunt May's - Diner

"My appetite has been so off and on." Zolina huffed, pushing her half-eaten waffles away from her. "Shit's annoying."

When Ace asked Zolina what she wanted for her birthday, all she asked for was breakfast at Aunt May's. It wasn't adequate enough for him, but he of course gave her what she wanted.

They were both happy to be back in one of their favourite places together, tucked away in their usual booth.

"You gotta be patient with yo' body, Mama." He took a sip of her unfinished smoothie. "Always got some room for them peach cobbler scones, though."

"Shh." She put a finger to his lips. "Don't come for me and my scones. That's your own fault."

Ace laughed before kissing her fingers. He shifted around in his seat before taking out a black suede box from his jeans pocket, placing it in front of where Zolina's plate had previously been.