18 | unlocked doors

Zolina 'Zo' Smith
[ thurs, nov 24th, 🦃 9:17 PM ]
The Valentine Residence

Zolina 'Zo' Smith [ thurs, nov 24th, 🦃 9:17 PM ]The Valentine Residence

"I think you might be the lil' nigga's first crush."

"He's so cute." Zolina cooed. "You can tell him to holla at me in a few years."

Ace sucked his teeth, "Yeah, aight."

After prying her away from Grant— who was in the middle of giving her a full house tour, Ace brought her up to his old room.

It looked untouched from whenever he had moved out; playboy posters were still plastered on the walls and sporty, boyish blue, checkered sheets were spread on a double bed.

"You were this good at basketball?"

Zolina picked up one of the many trophies from the shelf that was bolted to the wall. The rows were also flooded with medals and certificates.

"Had to be." He answered. "I was always the tallest nigga on the team."

She then picked up a photo of him hugged up on an elderly lady who looked exactly like Gwendolyn. The frame had a pink ribbon hooked to it; the symbol for breast cancer.

"Who's this?"

"The one and only Valerie Valentine." Ace said from his spot on the bed. "My Grams. That was my homie, man. We was just alike."

"Was, huh?" She realized his words. "I'm sorry."

"Appreciate you." He sighed. "She went out like an OG though. Crossed off her whole bucket list."

"As she should." Zolina smiled. "What about your mom's side of the family?"

Everything she knew about his family so far was only one-sided. The Valentine side.

"They around." He shrugged. "Kinda estranged."

Sensing the vibe, Zolina simply nodded and left the topic alone. As she continued her stroll around the room, she paused in front of his dresser to read the descriptions of some business and mental health books that sat in a pile.

There were pictures of him with his siblings, mother, and even Phoenyx and Demetrius from when they were younger. But there was no trace of his dad anywhere. Zolina now knew how severe things between them must be.

Her eyes continued to get lost in reading Ace from this room, not noticing him shuffling around until she felt his presence behind her.

"I mighta lied to you." He whispered in her ear, his hands running down the curves of her frame.

"What do you mean?" She turned around and looked up at him with furrowed brows.

"You gon' need to be quiet for me again." He bit his lip as his hands found her ass and gripped it firmly.