28 | ain't shit

Grayson 'Ace' Valentine III
[ wed, jan 11th 3:48 PM ]
The Valentine Residence

The scent of grilled corn led Ace out to his family's patio, where he found his mother behind the barbecue

Even when the family was in shambles, Estelle's habits didn't change much. She was always whipping something up in the kitchen, or creating new recipes for her kids to try.

If things happened differently, she would have pursued her dream to become a chef, or opened a restaurant. But motherhood and the life of a housewife changed her in more ways than one.

"Hi, Moms." Ace side hugged her and kissed her cheek. "What you making? That smells good as hell."

"Just prepping these cobs for my grilled corn chowder." Estelle snapped and waved her tongs around before turning off the grill. "You know how I do."

"Aight. Not too much on me." Ace laughed as he sat down on the wicker sofa.

During visits, he never really ventured throughout the house. Sometimes, he barely made it out of the foyer. It had been a while since he had been in the backyard, but it was all just the same.

The manicured lawn, the still water in the crystal blue pool. The stone pathway leading out to the fire pit that his family used to spend entire summer evenings around.

Instead of the negative, he let a few good memories dance around in his mind for once; mentally smiling when he saw that his mother's rose garden was still thriving.

"What brings you by?" Estelle sat on the chair in front of him and poured him a glass of lemonade. "You know Gwendolyn is at the shop, and Grant is out tutoring."

Ace frowned, "So what? I can't visit my Moms?"

"Of course you can." She waved him off. "But you only need me one-on-one if something's bothering you."

Ace shrugged and looked her over, "I knew you was alone out here today. Wanted to check on you."

"Mhm. Okay, Grayson..." Estelle dramatically rolled her eyes. "How was your club opening? Did everything go well?"

Ace sipped his lemonade, "Yeah, no problems so far. I'm doin' a lil' event on Friday, so that should bring in more than what it's already givin' me."

"That's great! I'm proud of you!" She clapped her hands. "Please tell me you've found a way to convince Phoenyx and Demetrius to get into business with you?"

Ace blew out a breath, "Nah. Crazy 'cause they be planning everything. I'on know what it is with them."

Estelle sighed, "I've always wanted the best for all of you, they're practically my sons, too. I'd hate for Demetrius to end up back in jail. Or Phoenyx? That would kill your brother and sister. They love him too."