37 | lucid

Grayson 'Ace' Valentine III
[ tues, mar 7th 3:41 PM ]
Valley Hill - Medical Centre

Every Tuesday at 4:00 PM, Zolina's friends would gather at the hospital to visit her as a group

Every Tuesday at 4:00 PM, Zolina's friends would gather at the hospital to visit her as a group. They thought that having all of their voices in the room would trigger something, or at least give her some type of comfort.

Ace purposely got there before everyone else; always wanting the extra time alone with her.

When he walked into her room, there was a nurse adjusting the blankets on the bed that he had seen a few times in passing.

She was short and chubby, with glasses perched at the end of her nose. Her name tag read 'Shirley', and the only thing that gave away her age, were the shimmer of grey streaks scattered throughout her tight ponytail.

She looked up at Ace and waved him forward, "Oh. Hi, honey. Come on in, just got done moving her."

The nurses had to periodically adjust Zolina's body to prevent bed sores, and also exercised the shoulder that she was shot in to avoid stiffness to the joint.

Ace gave the nurse a polite nod, before walking over to Zolina and placing a colourful bouquet of zinnias on the table beside the bed. When he bent down to kiss her forehead and cheek, he felt her fingers twitch in his hand.

Zolina's body had started reacting to touch a few days ago, but Ace was the only one to experience it. When he explained it to Dr. Sullivan, he was told that they were involuntary muscle contractions.

It could have been a sign that she was waking up, but with not much improvement to her brain activity, the doctor couldn't confirm anything.

Ace lifted his head and looked down at her eyes, sighing when he saw that they were still closed.

"Wussup, Mama." He said into her ear. "You gon' wake up for me today? I miss you."

He smiled at her when the machines started firing off, before they promptly went back to normal.

"Yeah." He kissed her hand. "I'm here. Hi, Baby."

"Oh, I see." Nurse Shirley put her hands on her hips. "So you're the one who flutters my favourite patient's heart?"

Ace rubbed his chin cockily, "I guess that's me."

"Mhm, I've heard about you." She asked as she signed off on Zolina's chart. "Girlfriend?"

Hopefully.

"Love of my life." He responded instead.

"Young Black love." Shirley smiled. "You two are a beautiful couple. Nice touch with the zinnias, too. Reminders of a faraway loved one, and a wish to reunite—"

She was silenced by the rapid beeping that the ECG machine let off again.

At first, they both thought that Zolina was reacting to Ace's previous words. But the beeping only increased, accompanied by other sounds from the breathing machine.