Chapter 4 Settling In✔️

Ann and I go into a large office down the hallway to the right of the front desk, where we meet with a man by the name of Harold Westward

Ann and I go into a large office down the hallway to the right of the front desk, where we meet with a man by the name of Harold Westward. He tells us that his family founded Westward Homes in 1923, and they have slowly grown to what they are today.

He seems like a pretty genuine man, but he freely admits he isn't much of a part of the day-to-day life here. His job is just to greet the kids that are accepted and to serve as sort of a principal/headmaster type figure if there are any issues. As long as I do what I was supposed to, he probably won't even see me again until graduation if I choose to stay that long.

My stay is supposed to be three months, but I will have the option to stay and finish out my studies here if I choose to, which will extend my stay to closer to six months.

Ann assures me that I will love it here so much that I will want to stay, but that she will make sure I have arrangements made and in place if I choose not to.

"All of the rooms here are private with ensuite bathrooms. We do not separate boys and girls, so you may have a next-door neighbor of either sex. We expect our residents to behave, so we do not anticipate there to be any issues. Once you settle in, you will receive a daily schedule from one of our admissions members, which will consist of both academics as well as individualized counseling and therapy services based on whatever brought you here. Those are required, and attendance is mandatory. We also have recreation time, and you may choose from several activities we offer here; a list of those will also be provided. All resident days will begin promptly at 8 a.m. and finish at 6 p.m. Breakfast will be provided in the cafeteria at 7 a.m., lunch at 12 p.m., and dinner at 6:30 p.m. There are snack bars set up around the facility that you may utilize for occasional light meals between those times, but we do request that you maintain a healthy dietary plan. There will be no need for cash here, as everything will be provided, including toiletries. In the event that you need something extra, such as clothes, shoes, etc., you can put a request in with your advisor. What happens then is that if your request is approved, whatever item(s) you request will be made available to you within three days. We allow all of our residents to pay $100 per month to cover these expenses. Think of it as an allowance, and there are three on-site shops that offer a wide variety of items. There is a phone in every room where you will be able to make calls home or to friends, but we ask that you use it sparingly. There will also be someone available twenty-four hours a day in case of any emergency. Oh, also, we have a hospital as well as a regular physician office on site in case of any illnesses or injuries, accidental or self-inflicted." He says this, looking at me, so I don't even have to guess that he read my paperwork.

"So if there are no questions, I will have someone show you to your room, which will be, let's see, room 212."

Ann and I look at each other. I can't think of any questions, and I guess neither can she; Harold has pretty much covered everything. Besides, I am so nervous, especially after my run-in with Dylan. I just want to get to my room.