Chapter 17 Thanksgiving ✔️

Family is allowed to visit during the holidays

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

Family is allowed to visit during the holidays. Apparently, at both Thanksgiving and Christmas, parents and family members are offered a free stay at the nearby hotel and can come spend the holidays with their kids. Westward comps everything, and as long as we have our request in and a number of people who will be staying, everything is covered.

Since Heather and I are both basically Bart and Ann's kids, we asked Harold if it would be okay for them to stay. Not that they would come, but I didn't even want him to let my biological parents know anything about it.

He said that, of course, that would be fine. He'd love to have them back, and after explaining some of the situation with my parents, he said he wouldn't bother with the formality of the invitation phone call. 

He also told me that he was impressed by Heather and me and all of the progress we have made. I also think he more than suspects there is more than friendship going on between the two of us. Though he never said a word about it one way or another, I have caught him looking at me a few times with a knowing grin and shake of his head.

We have only been here a little over two months, but we have both been given extra privileges as well as jobs at Westward.

Heather has started working as an assistant to the art instructor, and I am working as a history tutor one day a week and helping with the janitorial services the other days.

It is sometimes a messy job, but we both receive small paychecks for our work, and it feels great to actually earn the money instead of having it handed to me.

Today, though, we all have the day off.

Holidays were never my thing, but now that I actually have people I love and care about to spend them with, I am looking forward to them.

Heather knocks at my door. I know it's her because she always knocks four times, tapping twice in a row each time.

It's little things like that that I notice about her all the time. Like how her blue eyes seem to get bluer when she talks about what she did that day in art class or when she's really happy. Or how she twirls her hair around her fingers when she's anxious and always eats her food from the outside of her plate first. 

I open the door, letting her inside, and she enters holding two dresses up on hangers, one in each hand.

"I need your help." She whines.

"Let me guess. Can't decide which to wear today?"

"No. Ann sent me two dresses, and I love them both but can't pick between them."