Chapter 12 Misunderstandings✔️

Lunch time, thank God, because I literally feel like I'm starving

I look around for Josh and Britney and see them already seated at the table. I thought it was a little odd at first seeing how all the employees seem to eat and mingle with the rest of us, but I'm thankful now that they do.

It means I don't have to sit alone.

Everything with Dylan has been amazing lately.

We stay up late every night talking and sharing a little about our lives and what kind of dreams we have for the future.

It is great. And he has kept his promise to me that nothing we discuss will ever be brought up outside of his room.

It is nice having someone to confide in.

I walk through the line, getting my tray and grabbing a bottle of water from the large cooler.

I look around the cafeteria for Dylan as I make my way over to where Brit and Josh are sitting in our usual spot, but I don't see him anywhere.

Just as I'm about to sit down, I see him walk in. His eyes immediately land on me, and he smiles.

Lord, that smile.

I smile back, blushing a little. He always makes me feel so shy when he looks at me that way.

I don't expect him to say anything; just go through and get his lunch. That's our usual routine, but he surprises me by making his way over to where I'm seated.

I think he may stop and talk, but instead hands me a note as he walks by.

He joins up with a couple boys I've seen him with before.

Brit gives me a look, arching her brows, a wide smile spreading up her face.

"Oh, I knew it! I knew you two were a thing. " She says excitedly.

"Brit, we aren't a thing. We're just friends." I blush.

"Sure friends." She says to put air quotes around the word friends.

"Really, we are." I object, my cheeks still hot.

"Yeah, yeah. Don't think we haven't noticed the little glances and smiles you two give each other every time you pass. We aren't stupid; we know you all have it bad for each other." Josh interjects.

I'm so embarrassed; I thought that whatever has been going on between me and Dylan was a secret. I thought we were being discreet.

If they notice, that means the chances of other people noticing too are high.

We had talked a little about our friendship and decided that it was probably better for us to keep it to ourselves because the rules for being well, whatever we are, here aren't very clear. And the last thing either of us is trying to do is bring any more unwanted attention to ourselves.