Chapter 11 The New Guy ✔️

I walk into Grant's room, looking forward to seeing Heather

I walk into Grant's room, looking forward to seeing Heather. Part of me is somewhat afraid of looking her in the eyes after what happened with Dr. Howard today.

I never want her to see that side of me.

That angry, explosive side.

I don't even know why I care so much about it, but I do.

I was awful enough to her when we met, and I never want her to look at me that way again.

I still can't believe I lost it like that.

I expected Dr. Howard to shout back and cuss me or reel away like everyone else seems to, but he apparently thought it was some kind of breakthrough.

Apparently, he knows more than I do or is just as fucked up as the rest of us.

I have to admit, I do feel a bit better getting some of it off my chest. Between last night with Heather and today with him, I feel like there may be hope left for me after all.

Maybe I'm not hopeless just because my parents and everyone else seem to think I am.

Maybe I am worth saving.

I look up from my seat and see a flash of blonde hair.

There's my girl.

Your girl?

What the hell?

I think it's a bit early to be calling her your girl, Dylan.

I smile to myself, thinking about what it would be like if she actually were, and cringe at the fact that I just had an argument with myself.

She walks to me, taking her seat with a smile.

"Have a good day?"

"It's definitely been an interesting one." She says it with a distant look in her eyes, like she's remembering something.

Hmm. Wonder what happened?

"Yes, it has." I agree, thinking back to my appointment with Howard.

Neither one of us has time to probe any further because Grant walks by with a smile and waits for us to hand in our papers from yesterday.

Shit!

The last question.

I had filled it out this morning, but I don't know if Heather ever did.

I look at her, my eyes widening, hoping she knows what my raised eyebrows are eluding to.

She just reaches down into her bag and pulls out her packet. With a small smile at me, she hands it over to Grant.

I hand her mine, and she flips through both of them and gives us a nod.