Chapter Seven

Hi, since it took me so long to update, I posted two chapters! Make sure to read Chapter 6 before you read this! Reminder to cote and comment as you read please :)

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

September 6th
Saturday

55 Days Before

The first weekend of September always marked the annual Alvarez cookout. It was one of Lila's favorite days of the year. It wasn't a holiday, so it didn't come with the pressure of meeting any expectations. In addition to that, it wasn't any extended family. She adored her cousins and everyone, but she loved having this special time with just her direct family.

It was particularly hot out, a contrast to the auburn leaves on the trees. She wore a loose sun floral dress with chunky white sandals. Though it took her a bit of time, she was able to pull her curly hair up into neat bun on top of her head. She pulled a few pieces out to frame her face a bit, twisting them around her fingers.

She could hear her family talking downstairs, bickering about various things. Everyone had arrived last night per usual. They enjoyed a night of bad movies and junk food. It was around three in the afternoon, and she could hear people scrambling around to help their mother with setting up. She felt a bit guilty about taking so long to get ready, but also didn't mind avoiding the heat for a few moments longer.

She walked down the stairs once she was ready, seeing that the setup was well underway. She loved that even though it was a small gathering, it wasn't any less extravagant than normal. They went all out for this. Cole and his wife, Allison, were hanging up tacky decorations from the store. They had started that tradition a few years ago. They would get decorations from any holiday they could find and hang them up. One corner would have Halloween while the other showcased Christmas.

Nate opened the slider door, flashing her his famous grin. She was a bit surprised to see him, if she was honest. They all loved that he so quickly became part of the family, but he had a very busy schedule. His fame only grew with every day that passed, but he never seemed too stressed about it. He came to every family event and would never complain at all. He even released another album recently, and his press for it was insane. He had interview after interview around the world, and yet was still here at their barbecue, carrying a bowl of pasta salad.

"Hey, kid," Nate said as he flicked her in the head. She instantly reached up and tried to flick him back, but he swatted her hand away with a playful look on his face. "You're too short to try that."

"At least I don't have to duck under doorways just to fit under them," Lila retorted as she grabbed a plate of cookies and walked outside.

"I don't have to do that," Nate mumbled as he followed her, bringing the bowl of pasta salad with him.

Lila felt herself smile. Since her sister and him reunited a year ago, Nate had become like another brother to Lila. It was nice to have someone like that outside of her direct family. She knew that if she ever needed someone, he would be there with no questions asked. He told her that he was only ever a call away, and though she hadn't taken him up on it yet, she never forgot that offer.

The two of them walked outside, placing their items on one of the various tables that was already filled with food. She already saw smoke from the grill filling the air. Her mother was handling the cooking and grilling. Cole's wife, Allison, was helping her set up as they talked about the new house that she and Cole just moved to. They had expressed their interest in having a child soon, and moved into a bigger space to do so.