Chapter Eleven

Quick shoutout to my brother who explained what the kicker does in football over FaceTime with me the other day when I realized I don't actually know how kicking really works in football! I had no idea the quarterback usually holds the ball for the kicker, super happy accident. Anyways, thanks Mike!

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

September 10
Wednesday

51 Days

Lila wanted to murder Mr. Graham.

Her coach told her to meet him in his office, and Lila agreed without realizing where his office was. And well, his office was in the locker room. The boy's locker room. He must have not realized it either, he was likely accustomed to allowing his players to come in without issue. She shook her head, trying to decide if she should just turn around and forget this entire thing.

She contemplated her options for a few more moments before lifting her hand and opting to knock on the door. She grimaced as she did it, shaking her and silently scolding herself. Lila could hear one of the players ask if somebody just knocked on the door and she wanted to run away.

A boy answered the door with a bewildered expression. "...Hello?"

"Hi!" Lila said enthusiastically. "Um, I need to talk to Mr. Graham so could you just ask if everybody's decent?"

"Uh... sure," he said with furrowed eyebrows. He turned around and leaned around the corner. "Fellas, put some pants on. We have company."

He nodded at her after a moment and she walked in, offering up a nervous smile. One of the guys narrowed his eyes at her, leaning against his locker. He crossed his arms over his chest and she felt herself squirm under his gaze. It looked as if he was deciding if he wanted to say anything for a moment. She was about to keep walking to find Mr. Graham's office before the guy decided to speak up.

"You're the kicker?" one of them asked, pointing to her.

She sucked in a deep breath, holding her arms out slightly. "That's what I keep hearing."

"Were they just picking names out of a hat?" the same guy asked with a laugh, a few others joining in. Most of the others just didn't acknowledge what he said, simply continuing to get ready for practice.

Lila offered a faux sweet smile. "Well, clearly Coach didn't think any of you could do the job."

"Hey, shut it." Lila turned to see Ashton staring dangerously at the one who spoke up. "She's good. That's all you need to know."

Lila thought it was a bold statement considering she hadn't even kicked a football yet, but she gave him a smile in thanks. He just nodded once at her, turning back to finish collecting his things. Truth be told, Lila was worried about kicking an actual football today. She kicked a soccer ball just fine, sure. But the shape was completely different. She had practiced in her backyard last night on a smaller scale, but hadn't tried kicking one through a goalpost yet.

The boy glared at Ashton as he grumbled, "She probably doesn't even know the first thing about football."

Before Lila could speak up in defense of herself, Teddy interjected with, "She knows enough to see one play from you and know you'll be benched for the season. Remind me, how many fumbles did you have last season?"

She gave Teddy a smile which he returned. The player mumbling something to himself before continuing to gather his things from his locker. No one else spoke up against their new kicker, going about their routine as normal. Lila waited outside of Mr. Graham's office, noting that he was on the phone. She assumed he just wanted to check in about how she felt for today. After a bit, the team had mainly filed out to the field for practice, except for a certain brooding captain.