Dead Man's Blood (part 2)

Dean's POV

We all sit in the Impala, holding the letter we got from the box that we got from Elkins' last message.

"'J.W.' You think? John Winchester?"

"I don't know. Should we open it?"

There's a sharp, loud knock at the window. Annie jumps and pulls her gun and aims it towards the window. Sam jumps back and I rear my fist back. I look out the window and towards who knocked.

"Dad?"

Dad climbs in the backseat with Sam. Annie and I turn around to face him.

"Dad, what are you doing here? Are you all right?"

"Yeah, I'm ok. I read the news about Daniel, I got here as fast as I could. I saw you two at his place."

"Why didn't you come in Dad?" Annie asks softly.

Dad sighs. "You know why. Because I had to make sure you weren't followed.... by anyone or anything. Nice job of covering your tracks by the way."

"Yeah, well, we learned from the best," I say with a small smile.

"Wait, you came all the way out here for this Elkins guy?" Sammy asks.

"Yeah. He was... he was a good man. He taught me a hell of a lot about hunting."

"Well you never mentioned him to us."

"We had a... we had kind of a falling out. I hadn't seen him in years." He points to the envelope. "I should look at that." I hand it to him and he opens it. "'If you're reading this, I'm already dead'... that son of a bitch."

"What is it?" Annie asks.

"He had it the whole time. "

"Dad, what?"

"When you searched the place, did you, did you see a gun? An antique, a Colt revolver, did you see it?"

"Ah, there was, there was an old case but it was empty."

"They have it."

"You mean whatever killed Elkins?" Annie asks.

Dad gets out of the car. Annie groans and climbs out, while Sam and I crawl out. "We gotta pick up the trail," Dad says.

"Wait. You want us to come with you?" Sam asks.

"If Elkins was telling the truth, we gotta find this gun."

"The gun - why?"

"Because it's important, that's why."

"Dad, we don't even know what these things are yet."

"They were what Daniel Elkins killed best: Vampires." We all share a look.

"Vampires? I thought there was no such thing," Annie's face radiates surprise.

"You never even mentioned them, Dad," Sam says, looking hurt.

Dad shrugs. "I thought they were extinct. I thought Elkins and - and others had wiped them out. I was wrong. Most vampire lore is crap. A cross won't repel them, sunlight won't kill them, and neither will a stake to the heart. But the bloodlust, that part's true. They need fresh human blood to survive. They were once people, so you won't know it's a vampire until it's too late."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John's POV

Annie lays sleeping on a motel bed, while Sam is on the next one. Dean is passed out on a couch, having refused to let Annie or Sam take it. I sit at a small round table with a police radio sitting in the middle. Static bursts and crackles.

"Unit 22 let me confirm. Mile marker 41,abandoned car. You need a workup?" The voices are barely audible through the static crackling.

"Copy that. Possible 207. Better get forensics out here."

I turn off the radio and jump up. I through on my jacket and begin to wake up my kids.

"Sam, Annie, Dean, let's go." I slap their feet as I call out their name.

Annie sits up and looks around. "Hmm?" Sam half sits up. Dean starts rubbing his eyes.

"I picked up a police call."

"What happened?" Annie asks, mumbling.

"A couple called 911, found a body in the street. Cops got there everyone was missing. It's the vampires."

"How do you know?" Sam asks. Annie has gotten up out of the bed and is beginning to put on her shoes. Dean has already put on his shoes and is starting to pull on his jacket. Sammy begins to get out of bed as I start walking towards the door.

"Just follow me, ok?"