Salvation (Part Uno)

Annie's POV

Dad sits at a paper strewn desk, the Colt in front of him. Sam leans against the counter while Dean paces. I sit next to Dad at the table.

 "So this is it. This is everything I know. Look, our whole lives we been searching for this demon right? Not a trace, just...nothing. Until about a year ago. For the first time I picked up a trail."

 "And that's when you took off."

 "Yeah. That's right. The demon must have come out of hiding, or hibernation."

"All right so what's this trail you found?" I ask, dragging papers in front of me.

 "It starts in Arizona, then New Jersey, California. Houses burned down to the ground. It's going after families, just like it went after us."

"Families with infants?" Sam asks in a whisper.

"Yeah. The night of the kid's six-month birthday."

"Annie and I were six months old that night?"

"Exactly six months." I share a saddened and scared look with Samy.

"So basically, this demon is going after these kids for some reason. The same way it came for me? So Mom's death...Jessica. It's all because of me?" Sam gasps.

"If it's you fault it's my fault too. But is it true Dad? Did we kill Mom?" I ask.

"We don't know that," Dean says quickly.

"Oh really? Cause I'd say we're pretty damn sure Dean."

"For the last time, what happened to them was not your fault. Either of you," Dean snaps.

"Right. It's not our fault but it's our problem," I shout, angry at Dean, and not even sure why.

"Exactly! It's our problem. Together as a family dammit!" Dean shouts.

"Okay. That's enough," Dad says as he stands up.

Everyone takes a breath and calms down.

 "So why's he doing it. What does he want?" I ask, breaking the silence.

"Look I wish I had more answers, I do. I've always been one step behind it. Look, I've never gotten there in time to save...."

Dad looks down, unhappy.

"All right so how do we find it..before it hits again."

 "There's signs. It took me a while to see the pattern but it's there in the days before these fires signs crop up in an area. Cattle deaths, temperature fluctations, electrical storms. And then I went back and checked...and..."

"These things happened in Lawrence."

"A week before your mother died. And in Palo Alto...before Jessica. And these signs, they're starting again."

"Where?" I ask.

 "Salvation, Iowa."

...........................

Dad speeds along ahead of us. I drive while Dean sits shotgun and Sam rests in the back. Suddenly, Dad pulls off to the side of the road. He gets out and kicks his tire angrily. Sam, Dean and I jump out of the car.

"God damn it!" Dad cries.

"What is it?" Dean asks.

"Son of a bitch," Dad continues.

"What is it!?" I snap.

Dad turns to us. "I just got a call from Caleb."

"Is he okay?" Sam asks. I remember Caleb. He's a nice guy, and a great hunter.

"He's fine. Jim Murphy's dead."

 "Pastor Jim? How?" I ask. Pastor Jim is- was one of my favorite people that i've met that's a hunter. He was the one who baptized me when I was younger.

 "His throat was slashed. He bled out. Caleb said they found traces of sulfur at Jim's place."

"A demon." Dad nods. "The Demon?" Dean asks.

 "I don't know. Could be he just got careless, he slipped up. Maybe the demon knows we're getting close."

 "What do we do?"

 "Now we act like every second counts. There's two hospitals and a health centre in this county. We split up, cover more ground. I want records. I want a list of every infant that's going to be six months old in the next week."

"Dad that could be dozens of kids. How do we know which one's the right one?" I say.

"We check em all that's how. You got any better ideas?"

"No sir."

Dad nods at us and we all turn back to our cars. Dad stops, leaning on his trunk. Dean turns back as he opens his door and pauses.

"Dad?"

" Yeah. It's Jim. You know, I can't...." His face hardens. "This ends, now. I'm ending it. I don't care what it takes."

We all climb back into out cars and speed off into the distance, praying we still have time left.