Chapter 2: Fluke

Susan and Emily went to board the bus and I walked my way back to home as fast as I could to prevent being a target again.
The ten minute walk seemed like an hour today.

The weather was nice today. On a regular day I'd have enjoyed my walk but that isn't happening now.

While I walked, my heart was still beating fast enough for me to hear it.

Finally, I was able to see my home's doorsteps arriving. The turtle can now peacefully go back to it's nice safe shell.

As I entered the porch I saw a group of students heading to their respective homes. This group is of my those classmates who live in my area. They've always been going school together since they live in the same neighborhood.

As they laughed it made something tear apart in me. Even I lived in the same neighborhood; yet I, throughout all these years have never managed to hang around with them.

It isn't like they hate me (or maybe they do). They are not bad people. It is just that, I never knew how to take the initiative. People were never something I could handle. People are difficult. You never know what they actually think about you. You never know how your one gesture may jeopardize your impression. Around people there is constant demand for hardwork. People exhaust me.

Just to sound less pathetic, I wanna remind 'I do have friends - Susan and Emily.'

I was still staring at them when I heard a voice from behind.
"So you're not a very let's-hangout-with-friends person?"

I turned back and saw a tall man with a black aviator spectacles. He wore a gray trench coat under which he wore a black blazer with a black tie. Honestly I have never seen anyone wearing this formal attire as if he is back after having some meeting regarding some sorta multi-million worth deal. He had beard and few strands of his hair were falling on his forehead. He appeared to be in his early thirties.

He must be the new neighbour mom told me about in the morning.

"I beg your pardon" I said.

"So you're not a very let's-hangout-with-friends person?" He repeated.

His voice was deep and strong but not rude. It had some kinda warmth in it.

"I am neither a very let's-hangout-with-neighbours person" I replied rolling my eyes.

I am not generally rude with people but this day has been testing my patience way too much lately.

To my suprise he chuckled his face showed no signs to say that he was offended. I actually wanted to offend him. This annoys me more.

To make things worse mom came out.

"Haze you are back. How was your first day?"

"Fine mom" I said

"Let's go and say hello to the new neighbour"

"Mom you go. I am way too tired for this."

"Hazel, where are your etiquettes?"

And here comes another torture. What is wrong with people around me?

My mom headed to his house and I reluctantly followed her.

The neighbour cheerfully greeted us. And my mom greeted him with a greater enthusiasm. To be honest my mom even has my share of social skills.

"I am Andrew Braswell, nice to meet you." He said.

"Sarah Murphy, my pleasure too." My mom replied.

"And you..." He turned towards me. "Are 'I don't hangout with friends neither neighbours' person right?"

I rolled my eyes and replied in a venomous tone.

"I am Hazel"

"What was that?" My mom asked, perplexed.

"Nothing we just had a little talk lately." He replied.

"Hazel you talked to him?" My mom asked in surprise.

Everytime I do a small talk without my mom forcing me to, she acts like her infant spoke for the first time.

"Yups mom. Can I go now?"

"Wait"

My mom was still talking to Mr. Braswell, while I cursed my destiny.

One good thing he told was that his job involves an annual transfer.
That means just one year, just one year.

***

Finally we were home.

"You remember your aunt Margaret? Her son got a job of a geologist. Do you want me to ask him to tell you about the field?" Mom asked.

"Mom no please."

"I just said as it is your dream job. Just look at Susan she is about do an internship for archeology this summer, Haze, I honestly feel that you are taking things for granted." She said in a disappointed tone.

"Can we talk about this later? I am tired."
I said, and left for my room.

Luckily, she didn't stop me.

Susan wants to be an archeologist and Emily wants to be a photographer. And for me, I want to be a geologist.

Geologists are cool no? They do all that Earth and geology stuff.

Ugh!! I don't really know what geologists do but I do know what journalists do.

There are certain things which no matter how much you crave for you can't have them.

Being a journalist involves being confident, having the ability to voice your opinions without fear.

I don't have the right to even think about being one, do I?

------------------------------------------------------------
Hope you people enjoyed till here. Do drop your comments and let me know your views.

Happy reading!!