Chapter 6: Spidey Sense

It was five in the morning when my phone rang and in pursuit of protecting my sleep I declined it.

I declined about ten calls when I finally picked up to curse whoever the caller was. It was a conference call by Susan and Emily.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAZE!!!!!!!!" They both screamed

"Thanks, I love you both......bye bye."

"IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY!" Emily added.

"You're giving me sensory overload, it's five for god's sake, it's five in the morning and it's Sunday."

"Okay okay sleepyhead, see ya tonight."Susan said hanging up the call.

Do you ever have this intuition where you already know your day will be a nightmare, like some kind of 'Spidey sense' inside you is warning you? Well my birthday is one such loathsome day.

Birthdays are those days when everyone loves you just for the sake of courtesy. Look, I know this may sound rude but for a person who takes time to open up with people such days are barbaric. I don't know how to keep a graceful smile throughout the day. I don't know how to react when relatives to whom I have talked like five times in life starts saying things like 'I love you' or 'may God give you all the happiness you desire'.

On birthdays I have to create lot of mental scripts for obvious conversations and compliments. It isn't quite helpful because the other person often doesn't follow the script, but the only purpose of mental scripts is to make me feel prepared.

Luckily, my parents don't try to counter my ideas of a perfect party. My birthday parties include - me, Susan and Emily.

The stupid day went by answering calls, faking smiles, trying to be a nice person, replying texts and by giving reluctant hugs.

My mom insisted to invite some of the schoolmates but ofcourse that's not happening.

When I came back from school, my dad presented me with a huge box wrapped in golden and simultaneously my mom gave me another packet from 'Amazon'.
I opened both of them and my father gifted me a laptop.

My mom gifted me the novel series of 'The Twilight Saga'. Though I've watched the movies for like thousands of times, having the novels was still a pleasure. Books over movies in any kinda situation.

I was delighted. Birthdays are loathsome but they've certain undeniable perks. I hugged my parents. I was brimming with joy.

***
When Susan and Emily arrived at my place in the evening, we all headed to the newly inaugurated Italian restaurant - 'The Hotzz'.

I wore a knee-length black midi with noodle-sleeves. I wanted Oogway to come along and wear some kinda tux but that's not a very possible desire.

Susan wore a golden off-shoulder crop top and Emily wore a velvet-red playsuit.

As the cake arrived, both of them started singing the birthday song.

I then started to unwrap their gifts. Emily gifted me poster of 'The map of tiny perfect things' signed by both lead actors.

I couldn't be happier!!!! I never expected either of my friends to gift something like that. I gave a suffocating hug to Emily.

It was certainly one of my best birthdays.

Then I started to unwrap Susan's gift. It was a book titled 'How to win friends and influence people'.

Susan said. "I thought about gifting you a novel, considering the amount of books that you read and at the bookstore as I saw this book it immediately reminded me of you, so here it is."

Emily added."Sussy this is certainly something Hazel needed."

To which Susan replied,"but considering Hazel's case, she would need approx ten more such books.

They both laughed.

Why is it that whenever the grounds of my life possess a peaceful ambience, someone has to bombard it and wage a war.

I know Susan might have looked at the situation from her point of view and that she may have done it due to her concern but all this feels like someone is telling me that all my deepest insecurities are correct and people will never ever accept me this way. It feels like they're telling me how worthless my entire personality is, that I don't have my place over here or anywhere on this damn planet.

I'm never gonna read that damn book. They should have atleast speared me on my birthday.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you enjoyed!
Do drop your comments regarding the entire birthday fiasco.