Chapter 7: Hold The Paws

I sometimes feel like even I should join the school bus like Susan and Emily, especially on such rainy days.

By the time you reach school either your shoes appear like some kinda mud monster or some stupid car has made you wet.

But I'm still not gonna join the bus.... I like my solitude walks.

I had just walk a few meters when I saw that some vile monster drove his car over a dog.

"You blind monster!!!" I screamed, he ignored though.

The dog was wailing. He was covered with blood till an extent that I could barely see his fur. I gotta take him to the hospital. I can happily skip school to save him. Plus these days I barely do anything in school other than praying God to protect me.

I took off my shrug and wrapped the dog in it. I headed to the hospital as fast as I could.

He undergone a surgery and ended up with nine stitches. The veterinary surgeon informed me that he was very lucky to survive such an accident but unfortunately he lost an eye.

I had never met that dog earlier in my life but I still felt like crying. He didn't deserve to go through all that. I literally wanted to kill that driver.

***

My mom was earlier mad at me for missing school but on knowing the reason her anger changed into concern. As I saw her change of mood, I took it as an opportunity and presented her with my plea.

"Can we adopt him after he gets discharged?"

"Only if you promise to take care of him properly."

"I promise, thank you mom.... I love you"

I gave her a suffocating hug.

***

Two weeks later they discharged him.
I named my new friend Mjölnir. I just hope he doesn't try to eat Oogway.

Unlike other days, today on my way to school I saw a lot many stray dogs like Mjölnir (or maybe it was the first time I was paying attention to them). Not everyone among them was injured but no one looked healthy either. I can adopt one but the others, they would be struggling to have a peaceful life everyday, every second. I gotta do something for them.

I thought alot about those dogs. No one knows for exactly how long those dogs didn't ate anything.

After considerable amount of thinking I finally got a plan. I'm gonna start a campaign in school for them.

The next day I along with Emily discussed the entire agenda with the principal. He permitted us. He even asked us to make an announcement regarding the campaign in the school assembly. Emily made the announcement. I've stage fright.

Our campaign basically was that people bring stray dogs they find to the school. An area near the school parking lot was allotted for the stay of all the stray dogs brought. Interested students can adopt dogs from there. We even tried to raise funds to finance the taking care of dogs by the time they weren't adopted.

On Emily's suggestion we decided to circulate pamphlets of our campaign in our respective neighborhoods. People appreciated our efforts but they were quite reluctant to adopt stray dogs, I don't know why, but still most of them helped us financially.

We covered Emily's neighborhood and my neighborhood was almost covered except one house..... You guessed it right.

I was reluctant to actually approach Mr. Braswell but Emily insisted that we shouldn't leave anyone. I knocked at his door.

"What a strange day kid, 'you are hanging out with your friends and have came to hangout with your neighbours" He said with a chuckle, as he opened the door

"Don't", I said, rolling my eyes.

Nevertheless, Emily joined his chuckles.

We told him about our campaign, and he agreed to adopt a dog and also helped us financially.

I never expected help from him. Anyways, I was happy looking at the success of our campaign.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading!!