5 Brielle

When I was sure Milan understood where we stood, I allowed him to walk us to the car. For a moment I thought he would drive us to a place of his choice since he was the one in fact paying. But Milan surprises me by asking me where I wanted to eat. I tell him the place of where I planned on going that Hannah had put me on to. Without question he drives us there and while He did promise to keep his talking to a minimum in order to prevent me from being annoyed, his mouth did gradually begin to run.

Whether he noticed it or not and decided to keep talking because I didn't stop him, I didn't know. But I didn't really mind his banter surprisingly. I didn't have much problem with engaging although I still found myself monitoring what to say and what to keep to myself. Still, much like our first meeting, the conversation flowed all the way to the point where we got to the restaurant.

After he finds a parking place he leads the way into the diner, I noticed with ease. Despite me being the one who introduced the idea of going to this place.

"You've been here before?" I ask once we settle in a booth.

"More often than I like to admit." He replies. "But I'm not a real fan of cooking. I rather just come here and get something made for me."

"You know if you don't know how to cook you could just say it."

I say before I can stop myself. The statement was meant to be a mental yet snarky, verging on a playfully rude joke. It was my humor...that could often rub people the wrong way. Especially with my lukewarm tone. It could easily be misinterpreted as me being serious.

But Milan, instead chuckles. His vivid green eyes flickering with mischief. "I was never taught but yeah I guess you're right."

Relief washes over me.

I'm both happy he didn't take offense and a bit confused as to how I slipped up and became so lax around him. Then again, we aren't in a work setting. And if I'm being completely honest, he wasn't acting like the spoiled brat one would expect a young man with a rich aunt/guardian would be.

"I never really needed to. Foods and meals are usually always prepared for me "

Unimpressed my lids lower.

I take it back.

"Must be nice." I murmur, picking up the menu.

My eyes barely get a chance to skim the breakfast portion of it before he grabs my attention again. 

"Not always. I appreciated having what I needed. But it could get a bit lonely eating by myself as a kid."

I blink at the admission. It's the only thing I can think to do in that instant as a solemn feeling tugged at me. no, I hadn't known Milan long, but somehow picture a small version of himself sitting alone at a table because everyone was too busy or couldn't be bothered made me feel terrible.

I guess I was a bit quick to judge at what I initially assumed was a privilege.

"I'm sorry," I manage to say. "I should be a lot kinder."

"don't worry about it." he smiles. "It doesn't bother me, really. plus, it was all before I got left with Monika."

Left?

I have questions. but for the sake of prying and being annoying I keep my mouth shut as he continues to talk.

"you've met my aunt and been around her long enough to get a feel for the type of person she is, right? can you imagine her wanting to raise a kid?"

Not in the slightest. I want to say, but I again I remember who I'm in front of.

"You know you've been a bit closed off since we've met again." Milan says after a beat of silence stretches between us. His eyes playfully narrow.