13 Monnika/Brielle

Authors note
I usually put  one singular point of view of the character the chapter is going to be in (which is usually and by default *brielle or milan*. for this one it's both Monnika and Brielle. when I was originally writing this, I was alternating between whose point of view would help move the story forward best...and I could only settle on the two people listed above. I typically don't like switching point of view in the same chapter for some reason but in this case, I feel like I had to alternate between monika and Brielle. (I feel like when I brainstormed monika she's  intended to be more of thinker before she ultimately acts and be very perceptive about things and those around her but will take long periods of time if needed before she speaks *she believes in their being a right time for everything including speaking* . She'll often notice things others won't, which Is why I want to use her for this. but at the same time I know I'd get a little bored with her because again, shes not someone whos usually impulsive so their wont be much action as far as movement on her part. *don't get me wrong I still feel like shes essentenial.*

Basically what I'm saying is, if kept this chapter in monikas point of view, it would be a short chapter and I absoluteky do not like making super short chapters for people who read my content T_T which is why Brielle will come in later. so again...sorry for switching point of views in the same chapter ! but I hope you guys can understand where im coming from and enjoy it either way.
+++++++

Monnika

A cluster of light but audible knocks could be heard at the front of our door. My coffee cup freezes just shy of my lips as I give my watch a glance.

Occasionally this time on Saturday, I don't expect visitors. Instead, I'd be forcing myself to relax from doing work because  if I didn't, Jenny would  hassle me to do so. In which I inevitably would end up doing it or she'd berate me about her concern of over working myself.; a bitter sweet trait of hers. However, this morning, I had no issue relaxing, even going so far as cooking breakfast and making coffee. All whilist Jenny Happily fed Eli some of the food brielle gave us to for his stay; Which to my suprrise, based on knocks at the door, may have been coming to an end.

I had to assume this since Brielle didn't give us an exact time she'd be over. She simply said "Ill be back in the morning"

"Think that's mommy?" Jenny says lightly tickling Eli's neck.

"Possibly." I say giving my black coffee a sip before setting the cup down. "I'll get the door."

As I stand, Eli's big brown eyes watch me intently. Normal for someone as inquisitive at his age.  out of force of habit ive reclaimed since I assumed id have to abandon when milan grew up, I gently pinch his chubby cheeks. It earns me a joyus coo that makes Jenny laugh.  a smile forms faintly across my lips.

I didn't realize  how much I missed having a child around until Brielle left Eli in our care. It was if everything I'd crammed myself to learn when I officially got custody of Milan resurfaced from the back of my mind. I wouldn't say I was a guru as far as proper child care but i did feel comfortable bathing, feeding, a rocking Eli to sleep.

The second I open my front door, I of course expect to see Brielle. And  I do. But a vaguely familiar scent brushes past me.

Bergamot, light vanilla, and...pineapple?

It teeters closer to the edge of masculine but not entirely.

The smell isn't bad, but more so striking. To the point where I pause and zone out into my thoughts; in attempt to connect the dots to where I may of exactly smelled such a scent. All while brielle speaks in a rushed tone.

"I'm sorry Monnika. I woke up this morning and realized I didn't even tell you what time I was gonna come by to pick up Eli."

I can hear Brielle speak and naturally I want to respond. But im perplexed by her new...perfume. It doesn't overpower. It just tugs at my memory, nags at it as if tryng to pull to something  that I cant quite put my finger on.