Prologue

I was sitting on my porch swing when I heard a police siren

I was sitting on my porch swing when I heard a police siren. The 30second walk from the vehicle to our front porch changed everything. From having a loving mother, a future plan, to having nothing in a matter of seconds. It was the week after my highschool graduation. My mom was coming home from work when a drunk truck driver hit her car and now she's no more. The tears in my eyes won't stop falling. I was a sobbing mess.
~~
Today is the day of my mother's funeral. I didn't attend. I couldn't so many fake people acting as if they cared.. how could she leave me? Why is the universe so cruel? I was wallowing in self pity when I heard the sound of the doorbell. I quickly washed my face and went downstairs to open the door. There stood a woman in a crisp grey suit.
"Hello, Dalton is it? I am Sofia i work for the social services. May I come in?" The lady said in a gentle voice. She was small almost a foot shorter than my 6.2 self. She was pale with blonde hair and brown eyes.
"Yes please come in" i stepped aside letting the lady, Sofia enter.
" I wanted to talk to you about your living conditions. As you are 18  you could opt to live independently on your own but looking at your financial position i highly recommend you not do so. If you don't choose to live on your own. You can live with your father." She began explaining. The word father kept ringing in my ears. I clenched my fist begging myself not to relive those memories. Submerged in my thoughts i almost miss her explanation.
"But seeing as your mother had a restraining order against him. I think that won't be a wise choice." I nodded in agreement. " I have another proposition I talked to Mr. Valentino of ' the Valentino's institution for boys'. It is a highly exclusive institution but you can attend it as Mr. Valentino has agreed to take you in without any payment." I furrowed my brows in confusion why would a complete stranger choose to help me? What is in it for him?
"What does he want?" I asked bluntly voicing my concerns.
" I told him everything about you and he said he needs help around the institution so if you agree to help then you can stay with them, free of charge" said Sofia
"Okay that i can agree on" i said.
"Great I'll tell Mr. Valentino the good news . Pack your bags Dalton we are leaving for 'Valentino's institution for boys'."

This is the prologue. I will update the first chapter tomorrow.
19th June 2022

~~S🌺
Word count : 460 words

~~S🌺Word count : 460 words