Chapter Five.

PICTURE OF SAM

Song: This Place Hotel (AKA Heartbreak Hotel)- Michael Jackson

All he could remember was the shock, followed by the pain, in her dark brown eyes. Everyone else was a blur. he didn't even feel the pain of her slapping him. Luke felt extremely bad for what he said about Jaylee, and truth be told, he didn't mean a thing he said about her. Every word he uttered was out of anger towards Miley. 

Luke knew Jaylee was trying to help him. She was trying to care, but he had to be a dick and run his mouth. Why didn't he think before he spoke? Why didn't he apologize? Better yet, why didn't he say nothing at all? Luke knew she was concerned about who had hurt him. He knew she just wanted him to be okay, but he was stupid. He was mad at other people, and Jaylee just happened to be in the path of that anger. He knew he more than likely made her feel insecure, and he hated himself for it. Jaylee had nothing to be insecure about. She was perfect, even with her heartbreaker ways. If she hated him, good. He deserved the hate. It was all his fault. 

For some reason, Luke wanted to hit himself for everything he did that day. He couldn't understand why. He was about to apologize, but she slapped him, and honestly, he was glad she did. He deserved all the hits in the world for everything he said to her. When he watched her drive away, a part of him wanted to run after her, but his feet were glued to the ground. He figured he should let her cool off. She needed some space. 

Was he stopping the game? Of course not. His main goal was to break the girl's heart. She deserved to feel the pain that her victims felt. He still wanted to make her vulnerable, and break her heart, but he had to be a little nicer to keep the game going. 

Luke was about to hop in his own car when someone grabbed him from behind. He whipped around to see Collin. He knew he was dead as soon as he saw Collin. He had been torturing him for days. Collin's hand met Luke's other eye, and then his nose. Luke tried to fight back, but he failed because he was pinned to the parking lot, repeatedly getting punched in the face. Luke could have fought back. There was no doubt; he was strong enough to fight back, but Luke let Collin hit him over and over. Luke deserved it for hurting Jaylee. Collin finally stopped after he sent a hard kick right into Luke's stomach, knocking all the air out of him.  

As soon as Collin was gone, Luke painfully stood up and limped to his car. He slowly got in and drove away from the school. He couldn't go to Jaylee this time. There was no doubt she hated him. 

And if she did, Luke could never blame her. It was all his fault. 

***

Jaylee finally reached her house. Hurt and confusion were running through her mind-- through her whole body. Everything Luke said was replaying in her mind like a broken record. His words hurt. He thought she was worthless. He thought she wasn't good enough. 

The sad part was, Jaylee agreed with him. 

She knew she wasn't good enough ever since she was with Eric, but she easily got over being insecure once she became a heartbreaker. Luke entered her life and gave her a damn good reason to feel insecure again. Was she heartbroken? Hell no, but she was the one trying to help Luke get Miley back, and he had the nerve to say those things to her? Jaylee never wanted to see him again. 

Jaylee walked into the kitchen, and Sam was sitting at the island with his face buried in her hands. Jaylee grew worried. Sam only sat like that when he was getting deployed, or his favorite TV show was canceled. Jaylee hoped for the ladder. Sam couldn't leave again-- at least not right then. 

"Hey, bro. What's wrong?" Sam looked up at her, his eyes sunken. Whatever had him down, she knew it couldn't be good. Sam was always cheerful or cracking a joke. He was never sad.