Chapter Twenty-Four.

Song: One More Try- George Michael 

Jaylee sprinted up the stairs to her bedroom. She closed the door and stood there, waiting. The door slowly creaked open, and her heart was hammering against her chest like a zoo animal trapped in a cage. 

"Jaylee, please don't be mad at me." Luke pleaded, walking closer to her, and when he was close enough, he grabbed her waist. "I didn't mean to do it. Please listen to me." 

Jaylee gazed into his eyes, turning her head away. "You're lying to me, Luke. Just like you always do." 

"Then let me prove I'm not lying." He begged, but Jaylee kept her head turned away. She wouldn't give in. She was still mad-- still hurt. She felt a million emotions at once, but he still managed to hypnotize her and dammit, all she wanted to do was give in and kiss him like she was dying tomorrow. 

"There's nothing you could do to prove--" 

Luke grabbed her chin and pulled her face towards his, crashing his lips into hers. She tried to fight him at first, for she didn't want to give in to the one thing that could destroy her most. But Luke always had a way of showing her what she was missing, and he could easily make ever muscle in her body relax and give into his seduction. Luke's arms slowly trailed down her sides, making her whole body erupt with tingles as he walked them to her bed. Luke gently laid her down, and for a split second, they pulled away.

"Are you ready?" He asked, and Jaylee gazed into his big, ocean blue eyes that had always been waiting for her. She wanted to give in. She wanted to love him. But she was afraid. She was afraid of the pain she knew could come if she gave in again and let herself love. 

"Promise you won't hurt me again." She whispered, caressing his cheek, and Luke chuckled as he pressed a gentle kiss against her lips. 

"Not a chance, baby." Luke kissed her once again, and Jaylee finally let herself give in. She didn't realize how much she had needed him. 

Until she woke up. 

Jaylee jolted awake, breathing heavily. She shook her head, trying to get rid of the dream that had just possessed her mind. She glanced at her alarm clock and groaned. Why was she up at two in the morning? 

Well, the shadow standing on her balcony should explain it. 

Jaylee clutched her chest, gasping in shock. She was about to grab her bat, but then she realized who was standing there; after all, only her idiot would choose to nearly lead her to her death at two in the morning. She walked to the balcony door and gently pulled it open, attempting to not wake up the whole house. 

"Luke, what are you doing here?" She asked as he walked in, avoiding eye contact. Luke walked into the bathroom and nodded at the door, signalling for her to follow. She walked in and glanced at him, gasping. 

Luke's eye was slowly swelling, a rim of purple and brown around it. His lip was busted, and he looked exhausted. He still couldn't bring himself to look at her. Jaylee opened the cabinet and grabbed the first aid kit. 

"What happened this time? I thought they were done with you." Jaylee glanced at him over her shoulder, only to see he was completely zoned out. She sighed and grabbed a washcloth, walking over to him. Jaylee stood in front of him, cleaning his busted lip. 

"Huh?" His eyes finally met hers, and when she saw the look in his eyes, her heart dropped. There was a different feeling to his gaze, and she couldn't describe how it made her feel. It was like looking into the eyes of someone who was soulless-- it was like he was lost. 

"I said what happened?" Jaylee place the wash cloth in the sink and grabbed an ice pack from the kit. She handed it to Luke, and he held it against his eye. She noticed his hand was gripping his stomach, so she lifted his shirt slightly, only to see bruises all over his stomach.