Chapter Eighteen.

Song: Where Do Broken Hearts Go- One Direction

The image of Jaylee's face when she screamed she was in love with him was still vivid in Luke's mind. He could remember watching the tears fall violently from her big brown eyes, and then she ran away before he could even utter a single word. 

Or, even better, three words. 

Hearing her say she was in love with him was like being stabbed in the heart. He knew he had hurt her so badly, yet somehow, she still fell in love with him. Luke didn't think it was humanly possible for a girl to feel that way after everything he put her through. 

As soon as Jaylee was gone, and Luke snapped out of his shocked state, a single tear escaped his eye, and he whispered, "I'm in love with you too.." 

Luke wiped away his tear just as his mother walked back in, the doctor following behind her. The doctor walked to Luke's bedside and patted his shoulder, shooting him a smile.

"You can go home, just be careful with your bandages. I faxed a letter to your school saying you could ride the elevator until your wounds heal. Also, you don't have to go tomorrow if you don't want to. Do you want me to make you a note for that as well?" Luke glanced at his mom, and then back at the doctor. He knew he was going to make a stupid decision, but he also knew it would be worth it in the end. 

The medication could only heal so much. He was going to have to be the one to heal the wound in his heart.

"No. I want to go tomorrow." The doctor looked shocked at first, but then he nodded and walked out of Luke's room. His mother stared at him in shock. 

"Luke, why on earth would you do that?" She hissed,  and Luke sighed. 

"There's something I need to do." His mom sighed and leaned back in her chair. Luke knew she knew what he was talking about, but he also knew this was something he couldn't stop. He needed to get his girl back, no matter what it took. 

"If this has something to do with Jaylee--" 

"It's not. I promise." 

His mother sighed and held his hand. "Luke, you know as well as I do, Jaylee would want you to heal before you tried anything. She is always going to be there, honey. Jaylee loves you." 

"I know, mom." He replied, gripping her hand. "There's just something I need to do before it's too late." His mother nodded, looking away. 

Deep down, Luke knew the real truth of what he needed to do. 

*** 

"Mom, what's happening!?" Jaylee panicked, looking at her mother with tear stained eyes. Jaylee and her mother watched as the doctors pumped her father's chest once more with the electric pads, and then all at once, the monitor's stop beating, and her father's body relaxes. Jaylee's mom closed her eyes and leaned against the wall, letting out a sigh of relief. All of the doctors let out a sigh of relief and motion for her mother to follow them, and she does after a little bit of hesitation. Jaylee walked to Sam, looking for answers. 

"Dad was all happy and talking again, and then in one split second, everything went wrong." Sam said shakily, and Jaylee could see he was still in shock. She could tell by the way he held his knees close to his chest,  and Sam couldn't even bring himself to look at Jaylee. "Dad's monitors started going crazy. The doctors rushed in with electric pads to jump start his heart again." 

Jaylee and Sam glanced at their father who was still resting. Just by the way he slept, Jaylee could tell he was sick, and in pain. She could tell he wasn't okay anymore. It killed her to see her father going through such a nasty thing as cancer, and she knew it killed Sam just as much, if not more. The second time she glanced at Sam, he was staring at her intently. A raw emotion flashed in his eyes that she had never seen before, and it broke her heart.